Samsung R510 and the cursed Brightness adjustment

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
duvo

Samsung R510 and the cursed Brightness adjustment

Post by duvo »

Hi all,

I am incredibly new to Linux. I just installed Ubuntu last night (10.04) and am running the Kernel 2.6.32-24. I noticed that when my Laptop was plugged into the mains; the brightness is at maximum. When the Laptop is running from the battery; the brightness is at a minimum. Either results in eye-strain so this makes Ubuntu currently un-usable for me.

Upon searching the internet I came upon this forum and the samsung-tools and backlight driver PPA. Upon installing it, the Fn-volume control works however the brightness adjustment doesn't.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Thanks for your time :)
duvo

Re: Samsung R510 and the cursed Brightness adjustment

Post by duvo »

Ok, after some searching in the ubunutu forums I found this post

"Here's what I did:

in synaptic package manager go to settings, go to settings>repositories and chose other software tab.
Add the following repository: ppa:voria/ppa
click reload on the main package manager screen then search for samsung
check the boxes by samsung-tools AND samsung-backlight
click apply and load the packages. close package manager and reboot

in the terminal run:
sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules
in the samsung section you will see a line with *N130*|*N140* etc. add |*N150* there
also do the same for:
sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules

substitute your model for N150 above if it isnt already there.

The first part loads the samsung tools and backlight utility. this will also get some of your other function keys working. you can see the mappings in system>samsung tools preferences.
The second part gets the mappings working for the fn-up and fn-down keys. it also keeps the fn-keys from going crazy by forcing them to release after being pressed.

Hope this helps!" -- Fred Ora

I did this except I added R510 to the boxes that popped up after I did the terminal commands. Now all my Fn keys work fine except the brightness (when I do Fn up/down the brightness icon now displays and changes with the commands but the brightness stays the same); so frustrating!

My search continues!
el_doktore

Post by el_doktore »

so far so good.
beside the steps posted above there is one final step missing ;)
you have to add "acpi_backlight=vendor" to grub to get a working brightness control:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

add "acpi_backlight=vendor" to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
so it looks like: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"

save and then update grub:

sudo update-grub

reboot.

this brought back the working birghtness control for my Samsung R510 (Intel GMA X4500MHD).
hope this helps
duvo

Post by duvo »

Thank you thank you thank you :) :) :)

Works perfectly now!

Apologies for the late response! Have only now again started to try and get familiar with ubuntu/linux again.
duvo

Post by duvo »

With my Fn keys working with my brightness control I'd like to get around making a fix for the brightness adjustment using the sliding bar when you add the brightness icon to the panel. Currently when I add the brightness adjuster and try and move the slider, the bar just vanishes (the icon on the panel remains; the sliding bar appears underneath). Is there a way of being able to adjust the brightness using this bar? (the bar under power management does not work also).

Many thanks for anyone who can put me on the right track to fixing this issue,

Duvo

update: Ok the sliding bar with the brightness icon on the panel works when I do this; left click the icon to bring up the sliding bar, right click the icon, now you can left click on the bar to make adjustments (prior to right clicking the icon/bar it would just disappear when you left clicked on it).

The adjuster bar under power management still does nothing.
lord

Post by lord »

Hey guys!

I did all those steps exept
on my samsung x360 and there is some result. Previously when I tried to change brightness by fn+up/down the notification showed up but, my desktop stopped recognising keyboard keys any more but the brightness remained unchanged. Now the notification doesnt show up but at least my desktop doesnt go weird with the keyboard, the brightness of course doesnt change.

More over the brightness applet on my gnome panel now says it cant recognize laptops brightness level. Previously I was able to change the values (with no real brightness change).

The whole thing must be working somehow couse I can switch on and of my bluetooth for example but I would be really glad if You could help me with my case.

I'm using ubuntu 10.04 (linux mint actually) I tried many different kernels and nothing helps.

Cheers
Arubu

Post by Arubu »

It seems I might have finally a solution to my problem! :)

However:
in the terminal run:
sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules
in the samsung section you will see a line with *N130*|*N140* etc. add |*N150* there
also do the same for:

substitute your model for N150 above if it isnt already there.
These two files don't exist on my system. I'm running LM 16 64bit with Cinnamon. What are these files called on LM16? Or do I have to create them?

Thanks in advance for every help!