Do you plane to add quantal support to your PPA?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
martini

Do you plane to add quantal support to your PPA?

Post by martini »

Do you? :)
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do you plane to add quantal support to your PPA?

Post by voria »

I have yet to install quantal on my working box, I'll do it as soon as I can.

Anyway, I think there is no more need for my custom packages, everything should work just fine out of the box.
I think (I hope) the samsung-laptop module shipped with quantal kernel is in good shape now.
Probably the only useful package at this point is samsung-tools.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
martini

Post by martini »

voRia wrote:I think there is no more need for my custom packages, everything should work just fine out of the box.
I think (I hope) the samsung-laptop module shipped with quantal kernel is in good shape now.
Probably the only useful package at this point is samsung-tools.
I tried to install some daily builds of quantal after last beta, but backlight keys on my NP300 won't work out of the box yet ((

Backlight decreases only 2 step and stops. With "acpi_backlight=vendor" added everything becomes terrible: i can decrease brighness but can't increase it at all.

So only software slider in systems preferences works out of box ((
Neko

Post by Neko »

Hi,

I just got a 2nd-hand N220, and in attempting to get the backlight control working found your PPA. Of course, I'm also currently trying out 12.10 on it, so I think it'd be great if you could make a build for Quantal. No rush, it only just came out =)

In the meantime I will be fiddling with ACPI settings, if I do find an alternative solution I'll be sure to post back here.

Edit: Aha, thanks to this post here, the appropriate magic to add to the kernel params is

Code: Select all

acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor
Odd that it's not working without that, but if it works, it works...
CaptnDifool

Post by CaptnDifool »

martini wrote: Backlight decreases only 2 step and stops. With "acpi_backlight=vendor" added everything becomes terrible: i can decrease brighness but can't increase it at all.
I can confirm this to my RV520. The same issue. As workaround you can plug off the AC power and plug in again, then the brightness turns back to max brightness. The integer in /sys/class/backlight/samsung/brightness counts correctly but it will not interpreted correctly if turns up for increasing brightness. It's a one-way control.

Tested with quantal_64.
shehe

Post by shehe »

:-\ I have this issue on my RV520 too. The problem solved only when I installed natty (or oneiric) version of Samsung backlight (samsung laptop, samsung tools, easy-slow-down-manager, phc-intel - precise version) Also in /etc/modprobe.d/samsung-backlight.conf I changed use_sabi=0 to use_sabi=1
but brightness in System Settings and in fn-buttons are not sync.

Sorry for my bad english, I am russian
sergwy

Post by sergwy »

nvidia_bl driver is required to have nvidia card work properly on Samsung rv520.
The latest version of Ubuntu with all the drivers is 11.10.
Voria has already mentioned in one of his posts that he would not add nvidia_bl driver to the repo.
I Installed it from git repo, it works well with 3.2 kernel of Ubuntu 12.04. However the Fn-Up/Down keys do not send their commands correctly so the only way to manage brightness is echoing to /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_smth/brightness (do not remember exactly how it's been detected).