Problems with power

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
genius_cube

Problems with power

Post by genius_cube »

Hi

This site is a fantastic resource! I bought my NC10 at the weekend and the first thing I wanted to do was Ubuntu it up.

However, despite ugrading the BIOS/MICOM and grabbing all the bits and bobs, including the latest kernel, from the repo I have a lingering problem. I cannot unplug/plugin the power cable without causing the system to have a fit and, more often than not, fall over. Is this problem fixable?

Regards GC
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problems with power

Post by voria »

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not sure to understand your problem.
Do you mean that when you unplug the power cable the system shuts down suddenly, or that it starts automatically the shut down process? Or does it freeze completely?
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
genius_cube

Post by genius_cube »

Thanks ;D

Sorry I will describe the issue more clearly. When plugged into the mains everything is fine, if I unplug the NC10 the system hangs for around a minute, then continues normally. It will then keep hanging for a minute or two every 10 or so minutes.

I am thinking of upgrading to Karmic to see if the upgrade to DeviceKit helps at all.

On that note, any hints for getting the Karmic iso onto a USB Drive?

Regards

GC
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Is there any error or useful info in your dmesg when this happens?

Also, try to downgrade gnome-power-manager to the official ubuntu version, since other users have reported similar problems when using the custom package from my repository.

Concerning the karmic installation, you can use the usb creator to create a bootable USB drive. You can find it in System->Administration.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!