no wifi...

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: no wifi...

Post by voria »

micha wrote:How can I find this folder? And is your driver active after uninstalling madwifi?
If you didn't keep it after installing the madwifi drivers, just redownload the madwifi sources, extract them and use the 'sudo make uninstall' command from within this new directory. And yes, the 'ath5k' driver should be automatically loaded at boot.
micha wrote:How can I load it? (I'm really new at linux...)
Use the command

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe ath5k
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
micha

Post by micha »

voRia wrote:If you didn't keep it after installing the madwifi drivers, just redownload the madwifi sources, extract them and use the 'sudo make uninstall' command from within this new directory. And yes, the 'ath5k' driver should be automatically loaded at boot.
I tried to do so. But there is still the madwifi driver under system, hardware - but it's not active. ath5k is not loaded at boot...
voRia wrote:Use the command

sudo modprobe ath5k
That works for me. but I want the driver to start automatically.

Micha
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Well, I'm sorry, I can't tell you how to remove completely the madwifi driver.
This is a typical problem when a software is installed bypassing the package manager: if you lose track of installed files, it can be a nightmare to remove them all.

Anyway, if your problem is just to have the ath5k loaded automatically at boot, you can use a simple workaround. Add the command

modprobe ath5k
to your '/etc/rc.local'. This file is a script which is executed everytime at the end of the boot process. So, you can insert in it any command you want to be automatically executed.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
micha

Post by micha »

voRia wrote:Well, I'm sorry, I can't tell you how to remove completely the madwifi driver.
This is a typical problem when a software is installed bypassing the package manager:
I installed it with

sudo apt-get install <packetname>
Is this an installation bypassing the package manager? I can't find the package in synaptic package manager... (searched for madwifi). Your packages I installed also with apt-get install - but this packeges I can find there.
voRia wrote:Anyway, if your problem is just to have the ath5k loaded automatically at boot, you can use a simple workaround.
Thanks for this workaround and for the explanation. Yes, it's only a workaround - but it works fine!

Thank you very much for all the helping answers!

Micha
okon3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by okon3 »

hmm now i have the same problem, i've uninstalled the madwifi driver, but it doesn't load athk driver automatically, and i hate this
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

micha wrote:I installed it with

sudo apt-get install <packetname>
Is this an installation bypassing the package manager? I can't find the package in synaptic package manager... (searched for madwifi).
'apt-get' is a tool of the package manager, using it is the normal way to install software on debian based distros (ie, ubuntu). When talking about 'manual installation', I was referring to software installed manually, by downloading source code, compiling and installing it using 'make' and 'make install'.
Actually I don't know if madwifi drivers are available though the package manager, so I supposed you installed it manually.