Let's add support to other Samsung netbooks

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
derjosi

Re: Let's add support to other Samsung netbooks

Post by derjosi »

Hello,
I'm fairly new to the samsung community, but I would like to help out with any needed informationen about the Samsung RV 720 to make it work. As it is not my machine, but a friends, it may take me a few days to gather all the information.
Please let me know, what you need. The current status is, that the backlight cannot be set with the hotkeys (or in any other way).
cheers
josi
mobius

Post by mobius »

Hey all,

I've been experiencing the same back light problems on the samsung Q430-JB1US. I've followed all the steps listed on other posts but it seems to have no effect. the FN keys work, and I see the animation for the brightness control, yet the brightness itself remains unchanged. Help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I'm currently running ubuntu 11.10, everything is updated
death

Post by death »

Guys, please add model R538 (or R538/R578/R778)
Thank you!
Lorenzen

Post by Lorenzen »

hello,
I do own a Samsung 300e7a-S03 netbook which runs with ubuntu 12.04.
I'm a returning ubuntu user, as i have used ubuntu 8.04 quite a few years ago and have some basic understanding and knowledge about how the system works. (tl;dr : noob with laptop, can use terminal, more than that: can count to potatoe) Also to be noted that this is my first netbook.

I have installed the voira package and have had some success but not quite as how i hoped:

concerning the FN keys:
F1 does nothing
F2 is supposed to lower the brightness, but just does it one little step. (my eyes are quite sore)
F3 is supposed to heighten the brightness, wich it does. to maximum carnage.
F4 is supposed to switch trough the monitors, which works
F5 disables the touchpad (how can one work with this???)
F6-F8 is for the volume control (mute, quiter, louder), works
F11 is the FAN control. when i press this, A wild overlay appears, which tells me that the fan control is disabled. not very effective.
F12 is the WLAN card enabler/disabler, which accourding to the overlay works, but as you may know there is a LED at the front of the netbook, which i THINK is supposed to switch on/off ? it does not.

Also, the arrow keys which have a blue frame around their keys do not work at all.

sooo... what do i do? or, what can i do to help you help me getting my fn keys to work?

I noticed that i can't seem to install the samsung-backlight package via terminal and i can't seem to find anything regarding the voria samsung package when i search it via the software center GUI. terminal works.

so... let me know what Information i need to relay to you.
Cheers,
Tom

Update 1:
I just noticed that i have a GUI for the samsung tools (samsung tools preferences) (via quick start) where i can change the key layout. pressing the backlight FN keys, my laptop screen just switches off. Not what i had hoped. Also, the FN keys seem to be different, as i have one FN key on F1 (gear and a allen wrench symbol) which the gui does not seem to recognise.
Lorenzen

Post by Lorenzen »

right, update 2:

Brightness works. Editing the grub file did the job.

Now, what remains is that backlight thing. I don't think switching off my netbook display is what turning the samsung backlight off should do, right?
nickolback

Post by nickolback »

My laptop is:

# dmidecode 2.11
SMBIOS 2.7 present.

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
Product Name: 305E4A/305E5A/305E7A
Version: 05QU
Serial Number: HSN89QCC903065
UUID: A2960F14-FE7B-11E1-A8C3-CC19F83A3CFE
Wake-up Type: Power Switch
SKU Number: To be filled by O.E.M.
Family: To be filled by O.E.M.

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise
Linux linote 3.2.0-39-generic-pae #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 27 22:25:11 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Using drivercard ATI/Radeon 6480G

Thanks