Lucid is out, which version to install for an NC10 ?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
[R]

Lucid is out, which version to install for an NC10 ?

Post by [R] »

Hello,

The Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid came out yesterday.
Which version do you advice to install (and why) for an NC10 netbook:
- does a lpcia version still exist ? or is it now integrated in Ubuntu 10.4 ?
- what are the real differences between ubuntu netbook remix and the normal ubuntu ?

Thanks for you answers, and especially to Voria for his great job !
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lucid is out, which version to install for an NC10 ?

Post by voria »

Hi and welcome. :)

The LPIA architecture is no more supported in Lucid. Since it was very similar to i386, it just had no meaning to exist.

The ubuntu version to install depends on your needs.
If you use your netbook just for web browsing, email, etc, then I think the netbook version is the best choice. On the other hand, if you use your netbook for more advanced work, then I'd suggest the normal version.
Personally, I use the normal version because I don't want to change my habits and I simply love the standard gnome desktop. :)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
[R]

Post by [R] »

Perfect, i'm already using the standard edition (of course with your ppa ;-)), i'm going to go on with Lucid. Thanks again Voria !
christa99

Post by christa99 »

Have just installed the standard netbook i386 version on my brand new NC10- I tested it in VMWare player first just to make sure, as well as a few other o.s's, and the Lucid Lynx is the winner by, as we say here in Australia, a country mile. Worked absolutely beautifully in every way,
looks good and still has the Linux power under the pretty face.
I think that if people don't sit up and start noticing Linux, and Ubuntu in particular, with this release then there's something seriously wrong!