New application's coming: Samsung Tools!

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New application's coming: Samsung Tools!

Post by voria »

I've removed the phc module from the kernel package and created a separate package just for it, since some users may not trust or may not want to use a phc-enabled kernel.

All you have to do now is to install the 'phc-intel' package and reboot. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

Hey =)

I installed the phc-intel package and rebootet... but nothing happened... I still cannot use it :(

cragg.... :/
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

What kernel are you using? You need the one from my repository (2.6.32-21).
Check with this command:

Code: Select all

uname -r
If you have enabled proposed repositories, then you are using the newer 2.6.32-22, which is not official yet. I don't support proposed updates with the repository, so if this is the case I suggest you to disable proposed repositories (go to 'System' -> 'Administration' -> 'Software Sources', then 'Updates' and disable 'Pre-released updates').
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

My kernel is "2.6.32-21-generic" ... is that good or bad now?^^
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

It's odd. :P

Check if you are using the kernel from the repository with this command:

uname -v
it should be #33~ppa3~loms~lucid.
If it's #32, then you are using the official ubuntu kernel, in this case perform a system upgrade and you should get the correct one (assuming you have added the repository to your system as explained here, did you? :P ):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

It works now... simply had to update the system and then reboot :)

Works fine now :D THANKS! :D:D:D
Although i really really like the new inferface of ubuntu it somehow still buggy...
Navi-CC

Post by Navi-CC »

Does this nice tool also run under OpenSuse 11.2 / KDE 4.3.1 (Samsung NC10)?

Navi-CC
bigal-sa

Post by bigal-sa »

Hi
Any reason why you aren't using DKMS? It will make kernel upgrades much easier than having to download a whole new kernel from you each time you make a kernel level change.

So far, everything looks good - the tools work much more efficiently than the scripts. One thing I did find was that I had to download samsung-tools via synaptic to get the GUI working (and the app under system preferences).

thanks for your effort!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Navi-CC wrote:Does this nice tool also run under OpenSuse 11.2 / KDE 4.3.1 (Samsung NC10)?
I don't know, maybe.
If you want to test it, note that you need to install 'xbindkeys' and the 'easy-slow-down-module' to have full functionalities. I don't know if they exist packaged for opensuse, if they don't then you have to build them by yourself.
I'm sorry I can't be of much help here, I've never used opensuse. :(
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

bigal-sa wrote:Any reason why you aren't using DKMS? It will make kernel upgrades much easier than having to download a whole new kernel from you each time you make a kernel level change.
For Lucid, all the kernel modules on the repository use DKMS. The kernel is rebuilt for other reasons (to apply a patch that fixes the HD freeze problem on some models and to allow the use of PHC modules for CPU undervolting).
The only exception is the 'samsung-wireless' package, which is not in DKMS format because it takes long times to build, so it's better to build it once and for all on the repository.
bigal-sa wrote: So far, everything looks good - the tools work much more efficiently than the scripts. One thing I did find was that I had to download samsung-tools via synaptic to get the GUI working (and the app under system preferences).
Well, there are some dependencies needed to get all functionalities to work, and the package manager takes care of everything automatically.
bigal-sa wrote: thanks for your effort!
You're welcome! ;)
daniel

Post by daniel »

hi everyone!
I'm new on the forum. i have a samsung n210 with the newest ubuntu netbook remix and i want to set up the fn keys 'cause the brightness controll is not working. (fn+up and fn+down)
i install the script samsung-tools but the keys are not working:( someone can help me?
sry for my bad english:S
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

You probably need to install also the 'samsung-backlight' package.
For further informations and instructions on how to use the repository and what packages to install, check this other thread.
daniel

Post by daniel »

can you give me the code? sry i can't find the code anywhere:S
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

You mean the command?
Use this one from a terminal:

sudo apt-get install samsung-backlight
Then, restart the system and check if backlight control works.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Couldn't find package samsung-backlight
i don't know what is the problem:S i'm in the samsung-tools folder.