New application's coming: Samsung Tools!

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
sk_

Re: New application's coming: Samsung Tools!

Post by sk_ »

i startet translating to german. helping translating with launchpad is very easy :)
hopefully somebody reviews some of my translations,my problems were similar to Julian2010's.
miplou

Post by miplou »

Hi, french translation wasn't totally completed, it's done now.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Thanks very much to all of you!
I really appreciate your support. :)

I know that it can be hard to translate the ambiguous sentences out of their context, maybe I can add some guidelines for them. But for now, if you have any doubt or question, drop me an email, I will be glad to give assistance.

PS: If anyone wants other languages added, just ask!
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

I helped a bit, translating to German.
@voria: what do you mean with "kernel module to be managed" ? I do not understand very well^^
greets and:
Samsung Tools works perfectly on my NC10... :D
I only had to set some commands as "autostart-scripts" and bluetooth and webcam are disabled automaticlly :D

thank you :)
exploit

Post by exploit »

Great Job !!!
R518
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

cragg. wrote:I helped a bit, translating to German.
Thank you. ;)
cragg. wrote:@voria: what do you mean with "kernel module to be managed" ? I do not understand very well^^
It's the kernel module managed (inserted/removed) when wireless toggle method in use is 'module'. It's useful for netbooks where using iwconfig commands to disable wireless does not work. In these cases, wireless card can be toggled by loading/unloading its driver (kernel module).
cragg. wrote: I only had to set some commands as "autostart-scripts" and bluetooth and webcam are disabled automaticlly :D
This would be a nice addition to 'Samsung Tools', along with 'Last status restore' option: allow to set initial status at boot for each device individually. It's on the TODO list now. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

@exploit: on kubuntu, you need to install 'python-gtk2' package too.

EDIT:
You have edited your message, so I assume you have already figured out. ;)
Anyway, I add a note on the main post for kubuntu users.
exploit

Post by exploit »

Hi all.
Yes, i`ve edit my last message cause i`ve started Samsung-Tools-Preferences (i`ll call it STP).
You know, i'm not very good in Linux OS, and i haven't get success with ur app.
Even STP is running, i cant adjust backlight, turn on or off WiFi or switch off Backlight. Pressing Fn+F9 key do nothing, Fn+Arrow UP\Down Fn+F5 aren't functional .
I know what i done something wrong, but i don't know WHAT ?
It'll be wonderful if you create some instructional \ manual \ FAQ \ HOW TO for newbies like me.

Another questions are: can i use samsung-tools on OpenSUSE distro, is it capable ? Can samsung-tools to adjust backlight level? or it only can turn backlight on \ off ??

BRGDS and best wishes.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

exploit wrote: Even STP is running, i cant adjust backlight, turn on or off WiFi or switch off Backlight. Pressing Fn+F9 key do nothing, Fn+Arrow UP\Down Fn+F5 aren't functional .
Can samsung-tools to adjust backlight level? or it only can turn backlight on \ off ??
What netbook model are you using?
The non-working Fn-Up and Fn-Down are not related nor managed by 'Samsung Tools', they should work out of the box with ubuntu. If they don't, try to install the 'samsung-backlight' package from my repository, which enables the brightness control on various models shipped with buggy BIOS.
Anyway, for hotkeys functionalities, make sure you have installed 'xbindkeys', as 'Samsung Tools' requires it to properly work.
About the wifi toggling, probably you need to change some options in 'Samsung Tools' in order to make it work with your wireless card model, tell me what netbook you have and I'll give you more specific instructions.
exploit wrote: It'll be wonderful if you create some instructional \ manual \ FAQ \ HOW TO for newbies like me.
I will, when 'Samsung Tools' will be released.
exploit wrote: can i use samsung-tools on OpenSUSE distro, is it capable ?
I don't know if it works on opensuse, it's a distro I've never used. If you have a chance, try it and let me know. :)
exploit

Post by exploit »

Hello.
I have Samsung R518 p\n = NP-R518-DA09UA with 04LC BIOS version
enables the brightness control on various models shipped with buggy BIOS.
Pardon me, what do u mean in BUGGY BIOS ???
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

voRia wrote:
cragg. wrote:I helped a bit, translating to German.
Thank you. ;)
cragg. wrote:@voria: what do you mean with "kernel module to be managed" ? I do not understand very well^^
It's the kernel module managed (inserted/removed) when wireless toggle method in use is 'module'. It's useful for netbooks where using iwconfig commands to disable wireless does not work. In these cases, wireless card can be toggled by loading/unloading its driver (kernel module).
Ahh, ok, I think I understood. Everything is changed now and the new commands are translated :)
voRia wrote:
cragg. wrote: I only had to set some commands as "autostart-scripts" and bluetooth and webcam are disabled automaticlly :D
This would be a nice addition to 'Samsung Tools', along with 'Last status restore' option: allow to set initial status at boot for each device individually. It's on the TODO list now. ;)

I saw it translating these commands :D Excellent job, that you are doing :) :) :D
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

@exploit:
Some Samsung models (actually, almost all) are shipped with a BIOS which does not allow the brightness to be controlled. It's up to Samsung to fix this issue, as it has already done with NC10 and some other models. Where Samsung has not fixed it, it's usually possible to work around the problem by installing an additional kernel module which tries to enable the brightness control in a different way (it works for intel video cards only). This kernel module is enabled by installing the 'samsung-backlight' package.

At the moment, the kernel, the samsung-backlight and udev (needed to enable the FN keys) available on my repository don't have any support for your model. I can probably add it, but I need some additional informations.
Since this is not the right place to discuss about support for your model, please open a new thread and post the output of these commands:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

New screenshot of the system service's configuration dialog.
It may be useful for translators, to understand where the new sentences are used.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

cragg. wrote:Ahh, ok, I think I understood. Everything is changed now and the new commands are translated :)
I saw it translating these commands :D Excellent job, that you are doing :) :) :D
Thanks. :)
I've just merged the latest available translations from Launchpad in the development trunk, so they can already be used/tested.
Thanks again to all translators. ;)
Julian2010
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Julian2010 »

Last updates translated to French.