US purchased NC10 can't connect to wifi channels 12 or 13

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
munkymack

US purchased NC10 can't connect to wifi channels 12 or 13

Post by munkymack »

Apologies for the super formal post, but I fired this off to Samsung and got no response, and would rather just paste it in than re-type it. Ubuntu is my daily driver, but I can't solve the problem on XP, either. If someone can even just tell me "sorry dude, you're screwed" that would be better than nothing.

Nearly two years ago, I purchased a Samsung NC10 Netbook. I'm currently traveling in France, and am having difficulties connecting to wireless networks. Here's the pertinent information:

Model Number: NP-NC10-KA02US
Purchased: In the United States
OS: Windows XP/Ubuntu Linux 10.10 (Problem is present on both operating systems)

Problem:

Because my laptop was purchased in the states, it's configured to scan wireless channels 1-11 (FCC Mandated). I'm currently in France, and in Europe, routers are allowed to broadcast on channels 12 and 13 as well. A number of routers broadcast by default on channel 12 or 13, and currently my laptop can't even see those wireless networks, because it doesn't know to scan for them. I need to change the configuration (if possible) so that I can scan all 13 possible channels.

How I've diagnosed the problem: My smartphone is an HTC Magic for UK's Vodaphone. Because it's a European build, it can scan for wireless on all 13 channels. When it was limited to just scanning for channels 1-11, it was unable to find certain wireless networks. When I changed the software setting to allow the phone to scan for all 13, it was able to connect without difficulty.

Because I am travelling, I'm not at liberty to change the various routers I use to broadcast on a channel between 1 and 11, so I need to be able to change the configuration of my laptop, if possible. I realize this may be a hardware (wireless card) issue, and not a software/firmware/driver issue, but I've been unable to find confirmation to either point.
munkymack

Re: US purchased NC10 can't connect to wifi channels 12 or 1

Post by munkymack »

I tried installing the drivers from the Samsung Italy site (my friend also has an NC10 that he purchased in Italy that is able to connect no problem) and installed them with ndiswrapper, but there's been no change in connectivity. Any thoughts?