NC10 - JAUNTY WEBCAM and others

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
denis6902

NC10 - JAUNTY WEBCAM and others

Post by denis6902 »

alright, it was a nightmare yesterday! i went back and forth with distro and the thingy was really there yet.

The Intrepid was just the worst afterall because i could not get all the fixes on the synaptic package manager.

So....this time i decided to redo it from scraqtch again, yes i did! lol...i went back to JAUNTY version, as before i had almost everything working fine and nice but with that very slow response from the netbook.

so what did i do this time to get it sharp?

During the instalation process (at the partitioner) i selected manual partitioning instead of using entire hdd with the assistance of the particioner. I first created a primary swap partition with 2048mb and then i used all the left over of the hdd to create a partition for the jaunty version.
I USED PRIMARY EXT4 and only gave it / (slash) command

the installation went really smooth, so i followed the rest of the fixes instructions and now the netbook is ace like a fighter plane, its really fast and it responds much faster then before, so im thinking that when instaling for the first time, the wizard partitioner must use ext3 or something else to create the partition for the linux and maybe thats why it was soo slow on the fisrt time i tried it.

yesterday i was at a party with some friends, and i put my netbook to pump some tunes for the party and the sounds was working but very weird somehow, the wuality of the music was really rubish kind of crushed and i couldnt barely hear the artist voice, tied using the equalizer on amarok14 (the older version) to help the issue, but not even though it helped. Was asking myself then? Is it because of the sound card on the nc10 sucks or either this also driver is not quite good yet because the quality of the music was ridiculous, and i felt really upset when someone cracked a ACER netbook and the sound was just amazing and clear. Well...fair enough that netbooks were not develop or either design for such purposes, but it really sucked at the sounds.

Another thing which im not really sure yet is the screen resolutuion, windows just semms to be wrong somehow, whenever i open any window, like amarok, compiz-manager, or any application window, i cannot really see what is at the bottom of it, i try movinf the window up so i can apply a certain setting given or even going back to a previous menu window for example and it doesn really work, when maximazing the window then the thing gets out of control, and the screen does really work, it kind of goes boncus.

Does anyone have these same issue? Or is it only me?

WEBCAM IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING, WHAT THE COMMAND TO INSTALL IT PROPERLY THROUGH THE TERMINAL? IM ON SKYPE NOW, SET THE SOUNDS, WORKING FINE, BUT THE WEBCAM IS NOT WORKING, ANYONE?
zinaf

RE: NC10 - JAUNTY WEBCAM and others

Post by zinaf »

I have always had the problem with the window sizes of some applications - not much to do here since some of them use a fixed window width or the minimum you can downsize it is still outside the little 10' screen. What I do is to always have 4 workspaces and move the window to stretch over top and a bottom workspace. that way you can shift to the lower one to see what is in the hidden part.

i have not had any problems with the webcam.

the default file system of jaunty is indeed ext3. to install the extcomb4 one should do what you have done - to use the manual partitioner. I am using ext3 and cannot complain of my computer being slow. it work rather well in fact. I have not tried ext4 yet so cannot tell if there is a difference. I cannot imagine to have much performance outside browsing files...
denis6902

Post by denis6902 »

'zinaf' pid='1437' dateline='1244975117' wrote: I have always had the problem with the window sizes of some applications - not much to do here since some of them use a fixed window width or the minimum you can downsize it is still outside the little 10' screen. What I do is to always have 4 workspaces and move the window to stretch over top and a bottom workspace. that way you can shift to the lower one to see what is in the hidden part.

i have not had any problems with the webcam.

the default file system of jaunty is indeed ext3. to install the extcomb4 one should do what you have done - to use the manual partitioner. I am using ext3 and cannot complain of my computer being slow. it work rather well in fact. I have not tried ext4 yet so cannot tell if there is a difference. I cannot imagine to have much performance outside browsing files...

why is my webcam not working then? what am i missing out? i installed cheese but its all blacked out. Within skype video options it recognizes the hardware but it doesnt work, its just black.

anyone?
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

'denis6902' pid='1439' dateline='1244987154' wrote: why is my webcam not working then? what am i missing out? i installed cheese but its all blacked out. Within skype video options it recognizes the hardware but it doesnt work, its just black.

anyone?
Are you using kernel 2.6.30 from my repository? The webcam support is broken with it, and the issue is not solved yet.
If you need the webcam, stick with kernel 2.6.28.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
denis6902

Post by denis6902 »

'voRia' pid='1440' dateline='1244989457' wrote:
'denis6902' pid='1439' dateline='1244987154' wrote: why is my webcam not working then? what am i missing out? i installed cheese but its all blacked out. Within skype video options it recognizes the hardware but it doesnt work, its just black.

anyone?
Are you using kernel 2.6.30 from my repository? The webcam support is broken with it, and the issue is not solved yet.
If you need the webcam, stick with kernel 2.6.28.

how do i go back to it? im very new using linux, not so sure how to do that. And if i go back to that kernel, what is the difference? what are the changes?
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

The old kernel versions are not removed automatically when a newer one is installed. This means that you should have both the 2.6.30 (from my repository) and the 2.6.28 kernels in your grub menu, when you boot your NC10. Just select the kernel you want to boot from there.

The 2.6.30 kernel as the main advantage to greatly improve the video performance. But, as I said, the webcam support is broken with it. So, if you need the webcam most of the time, your only option is to use the 2.6.28 kernel, at least for now.
Last edited by voria on 14 Jun 2009, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
okon3
Supporter
Supporter

Post by okon3 »

Umm.

i'm using 2.6.30-8 kernel and the webcam works well.
Here's the proof.

(sorry for the photos :D)
** Dio dammi la pazienza, perchè se mi dai la forza, ammazzo tutti. **
denis6902

Post by denis6902 »

just to clarify my inteligence, i would only have to hit ESC when starting up to select the kernel 2.6.30-8 from there? that's it?

btw thanks for helping, its really nice to have support when u not so sure about things, keep the forum alive guys! THANKS!
'okon3' pid='1447' dateline='1245010189' wrote: Umm.

i'm using 2.6.30-8 kernel and the webcam works well.
Here's the proof.

(sorry for the photos :D)
man, nice skinning on the ubuntu :D

i always tried to use RAINMETER on ubuntu, but never got it to work, not even using wine. :(
Last edited by denis6902 on 15 Jun 2009, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

'okon3' pid='1447' dateline='1245010189' wrote: i'm using 2.6.30-8 kernel and the webcam works well.
Here's the proof.
It works well only with 1280x1024 resolution.
Using the option 'nodrop=1' while loading uvcvideo module makes it work with some other resolutions too, but 640x480 (the resolution used by skype, just to do an example) has problems yet.
denis6902

Post by denis6902 »

little update,

when i press ESC during boot i only have the following options:

Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.30-9-generic
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.30-9-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+

why dont i have the 2.6.28-8??? what did i do wrong?

i fired up the 2.6.28-13-generic and webcam worked well, but no wifi and no sound again, WHAT DO I DO? please help me out
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

'denis6902' pid='1451' dateline='1245072645' wrote: why dont i have the 2.6.28-8??? what did i do wrong?
The latest official kernel from ubuntu repositories is 2.6.28-13. Use that one.
'denis6902' pid='1451' dateline='1245072645' wrote: i fired up the 2.6.28-13-generic and webcam worked well, but no wifi and no sound again, WHAT DO I DO? please help me out
Try to install 'linux-backports-modules-jaunty' for wifi and 'alsa-modules' for sound. Please take a look at the repository thread for any other info.
denis6902

Post by denis6902 »

'voRia' pid='1452' dateline='1245074720' wrote:
'denis6902' pid='1451' dateline='1245072645' wrote: why dont i have the 2.6.28-8??? what did i do wrong?
The latest official kernel from ubuntu repositories is 2.6.28-13. Use that one.
'denis6902' pid='1451' dateline='1245072645' wrote: i fired up the 2.6.28-13-generic and webcam worked well, but no wifi and no sound again, WHAT DO I DO? please help me out
Try to install 'linux-backports-modules-jaunty' for wifi and 'alsa-modules' for sound. Please take a look at the repository thread for any other info.

its all good now, nice and clean install again, but mic doesnt work on skype, alsa-modules are installed.

If i leave the mic on, when typying on keyboard closer to mic hole, there is annoying microphony noise as well.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Take a look at zinaf's report.