A few questions for the start

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
nero23666

A few questions for the start

Post by nero23666 »

Now in the right thread...

I was really happy to see the repos for the nc10, big thank you for that, but after i add the sources and updated the system nothing happend, my wlan fn key still doesnt work, also a few others. did i something wrong? do u use the netbook version of ubuntu or the desktop one?

hope u can help me.unitl then ;)

edit: although i said sorry for my wrong posting, i hope that no one is mad on me..thats why u dont reply :-/
Last edited by nero23666 on 24 Jun 2009, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
okon3
Supporter
Supporter

RE: A few questions for the start

Post by okon3 »

it's not fault of the netbook or desktop version for the update, but i don't know waht could be
** Dio dammi la pazienza, perchè se mi dai la forza, ammazzo tutti. **
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

From the repository thread:
[quote=""voRia""]
NOTE:
If you are on Jaunty, you have to enable the 'commands' plugin in advanced compiz configuration in order to use keybindings.
Install the compizconfig-settings-manager package to get the advanced compiz configuration manager.
[/quote]
'nero23666' pid='1485' dateline='1245860078' wrote: edit: although i said sorry for my wrong posting, i hope that no one is mad on me..thats why u dont reply :-/
You cannot expect a quick reply if you don't even take the time to read the already available resources on the forum.
Last edited by voria on 24 Jun 2009, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
nero23666

Post by nero23666 »

OH sorry again. u know yesterday i was at college and all the time i tried to concentrade myself to class and to red the board at the same time. maybe thats qhy i only read the half ;)
sorry again
wayeast
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wayeast »

Hello. I don't really know where an appropriate place to post this sort of problem would be, so I'm aiming for the most general.

Is anyone else having problems getting a network printer to be detected? My school has three different offices with three different wifi networks. In the one where I spend most of my time, we have a Konica-Minolta bizhub 250 printer/copier and an HP 3055 multi-purpose printer attached to the network. Under a regular Ubuntu 9.04 install, both of these machines are detected and can be set up properly (the Konica through the printing wizard that is part of a regular install; the HP through the hplip package). I have also tried installing eeebuntu and this, too, detects the printers no problem.

When I install the nc10 updates from voria's repository, however, my system cannot detect either of these. The Ubuntu printing wizard turns up nothing, and hplip (invoked in a terminal with sudo hp-setup) also fails to detect anything. To add to my confusion, I have run hp-setup in another office and successfully added the printer there -- the exact same model as the HP printer in our main office!

I am using the .28 kernel, primarily because I need to have webcam support in skype, and voria's nc10 scripts package. Everything else seems to be working normally: sound, microphone, function keys. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know why the Ubuntu login sound won't play under 9.04? This is not a critical issue, but I like to have everything working correctly if I can.

Sorry to make this so long. Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

'wayeast' pid='1619' dateline='1247668480' wrote: When I install the nc10 updates from voria's repository, however, my system cannot detect either of these. The Ubuntu printing wizard turns up nothing, and hplip (invoked in a terminal with sudo hp-setup) also fails to detect anything. To add to my confusion, I have run hp-setup in another office and successfully added the printer there -- the exact same model as the HP printer in our main office!

I am using the .28 kernel, primarily because I need to have webcam support in skype, and voria's nc10 scripts package. Everything else seems to be working normally: sound, microphone, function keys. Any ideas?
I think none of the packages on my repository can be the cause of your problem, they are just updates for video card, sound card, touchpad, etc. In other words, nothing related to printing.
The only one which might be the culprit is the updated wireless module, but it's strange honestly.

Well, try to remove the 'linux-backports-modules' package for the kernel you are using and reboot. Then retry to add network printers.
'wayeast' pid='1619' dateline='1247668480' wrote: Also, does anyone know why the Ubuntu login sound won't play under 9.04? This is not a critical issue, but I like to have everything working correctly if I can.
Check under System->Preferences->Sound if the sounds are enabled, and make sure the audio is not muted when the session starts (make sure it's not muted when you shutdown or reboot the NC10).
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
wayeast
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wayeast »

'voRia' pid='1622' dateline='1247682950' wrote: Well, try to remove the 'linux-backports-modules' package for the kernel you are using and reboot. Then retry to add network printers.
Success! I removed all linux-backports-modules packages from my system using synaptic. This involved removing four packages total; two of them appeared to be 'empty' packages that synaptic uses to keep those modules updated. After doing this and rebooting, I was able to set up both printers in my office.

Now, the questions remains "What did I do by removing those backports packages?" Are these things that need to be there? If my printing works, have I compromised my system in other (critical) ways? I've read these two links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=759467, and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backport

but the doubts still remain. Now that I've gotten my printers set up, should I re-install the backports or will this screw everything up again?

Never mind. I just found this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

and should be able to find my way around now. Still, if you have an idea of which package might have been broken so that I can watch out for it, the suggestion would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for any help on this.
'voRia' pid='1622' dateline='1247682950' wrote: Check under System->Preferences->Sound if the sounds are enabled, and make sure the audio is not muted when the session starts (make sure it's not muted when you shutdown or reboot the NC10).
The sounds I want are enabled in the Sounds settings. In Gnome volume control nothing is muted. But the login tone is still not playing. Is there something else that I'm not checking? Thanks.
Last edited by wayeast on 16 Jul 2009, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.