[NC10] Ubuntu acting really strange after updating from voRi

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
XorXaX

[NC10] Ubuntu acting really strange after updating from voRi

Post by XorXaX »

Hi all!

I had some problems with my WLAN on my NC10 yesterday so I tought I'd give voRia's
repositories a try (using this guide: http://www.voria.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=41 ).

It didn't help my WLAN anything, but it apperas that when it stoppes working I just turn
the computer off for 30 minutes and when I boot up again it will work as if nothing have
happend. But enough of this WLAN problem.

The main problem(s) after updating from the repositories are that after like 10 minutes
or so after boot UNR it starts behaving really strange. All open applications freeze and I
can't do anything with them, not even close them. And I can't open any new applications.

If I want to open a new appliation I have to wait 4 minutes after starting it for it to appear,
and then I can only use it for some minutes before it freezes up too.

An other thing that has happend (not as big of a problem as the previous one, but still a
problem) is that it takes several minutes for the UNRLaunchPad to start when I boot, really
annoying.

So, I tried installed nc10-kernel and the problem remains.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or know what it is?

I would like to try uninstall all the voRia packages, does anyone have an uninstall script for
it och do I really have to go through and typing al the packages installed with it? Or is there
some other smart way of getting rid of it?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Jonas Andersson
Sweden
Last edited by XorXaX on 04 Sep 2009, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

RE: [NC10] Ubuntu acting really strange after updating from voRia's repositories

Post by voria »

First of all, welcome. :)
'XorXaX' pid='1885' dateline='1252045318' wrote: It didn't help my WLAN anything, but it apperas that when it stoppes working I just turn the computer off for 30 minutes and when I boot up again it will work as if nothing have happend. But enough of this WLAN problem.
Have you installed the 'linux-backports-modules-jaunty' package? It provides a newer wireless driver for the latest kernel 2.6.28.
Please try using WLAN even with kernel 2.6.31 from my repository, which contains an updated driver too.
'XorXaX' pid='1885' dateline='1252045318' wrote: The main problem(s) after updating from the repositories are that after like 10 minutes or so after boot UNR it starts behaving really strange. All open applications freeze and I can't do anything with them, not even close them. And I can't open any new applications.

If I want to open a new appliation I have to wait 4 minutes after starting it for it to appear, and then I can only use it for some minutes before it freezes up too.

An other thing that has happend (not as big of a problem as the previous one, but still a problem) is that it takes several minutes for the UNRLaunchPad to start when I boot, really
annoying.
This is the first time I hear of such a problem, looking at packages list on my repository I can only find a possible cause in the updated intel video driver (if you just updated the system using my repository, then you are using version 2.7.1).

If you are using kernel 2.6.28 from official ubuntu repository, try to revert back to the official intel video drivers (start Synaptic Package Manager, search for 'xserver-xorg-video-intel' and select it, press Ctrl-E and select the latest 2.6.3 version available).
If you are using kernel 2.6.31 from my repository, then give a shot to the new 2.8.1 driver following these instructions.
'XorXaX' pid='1885' dateline='1252045318' wrote: I would like to try uninstall all the voRia packages, does anyone have an uninstall script for it och do I really have to go through and typing al the packages installed with it? Or is there some other smart way of getting rid of it?
All my packages have 'nc10' in the version string. So, to find them all, do a search by version in the synaptic package manager.
Anyway, an automated uninstall script would be useful, I'll work on it as soon as possible.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
XorXaX

RE: [NC10] Ubuntu acting really strange after updating from voRia's repositories

Post by XorXaX »

Thank you for your reply! I will try installing some different vide drivers as you suggested!

When you said that I remembered that the screen did a little fkickering just before the launchpad started...

I will let you know the results!

Thanks again!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I've written the automated script which reverts all the packages updated with my repository to the official Ubuntu versions. The packages created by me which don't have an official Ubuntu version (nc10-scripts, nc10-fb, etc) will be removed.

Here it is.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
xxbasstixx

Post by xxbasstixx »

I had the exact same problem. I reverted gnome-power-manager then to the original jaunty package (same version number as nc10-package). Now its workin again without problems ;)
XorXaX

Post by XorXaX »

I tried removing all packaged that included nc10 in the name, but I must have deleted something more that I should not have done and it fucked up Ubuntu totally, so I reinstalled the UNR instead :)

Thanks anyway!