NC10 hard drive is making strange noise

Everything else
Megamock

NC10 hard drive is making strange noise

Post by Megamock »

Hi guys,

My hard drive has been making a strange noise for a few days now. Most of the times, it happens when an operation requiring a lot a ressources occurs, like opening a web page, or launching some piece of software. And sometimes, it just happens. I'd say this occurs once per minute.
It has been this way when my netbook was still running under windows, and it is still this way under Karmic Koala.

For you to have an idea, when this noise happens as I am watching a movie, the image freezes (but the sound goes on) for something like ten seconds.

I'm not really sure this is new : maybe it has been like this since the beginning, and I just didn't notice it ? What I would like to know is if you NC10 users are experiencing the same stuff, or if you had an idea about what it could be.

Thanks,

MM

Edit : it just made it. I noticed that the fan turned on in the same time. Maybe it is some energy-saving parameter ? How could I turn that off (I'm using the netbook mainly as a desktop for now)
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NC10 hard drive is making strange noise

Post by voria »

I have no such a problem with my disk, so I think it's not normal.

You can use the 'smartmontools' utilities to check your disk (install it with the package manager).

Use this command to see all the info about your HD:

Code: Select all

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
You can also perform some tests on the disk with these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo smartctl -t short /dev/sda
sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sda
The first one performs a short test (a couple of minutes to complete it), the second one a long test (up to an hour to complete it).

If your HD is ok, then probably it's a power saving misconfiguration. Take a look at this thread for more info.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
Megamock

Re: NC10 hard drive is making strange noise

Post by Megamock »

First of all, thank you so much for considering my problems :)
The diagnostic tool didn't return anything, so I guess it means it's ok. I will try to check the power saving parameters.
Thank you again :)

Edit : okay, I did modify the laptop mode files as indicated in the thread you linked, rebooted, and didn't hear the noise again so far (I did some heavy stuffs like sound and video, and web browsing...). Hope it is okay, and for the third time in the same post... thank you so much :D