Gentoo on Samsung N510

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
jay

Re: Gentoo on Samsung N510

Post by jay »

OK, just for the records: nvidia-settings will compile only, if you add the following symlink in:
/usr/include/X11/extensions
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 8 nov 16:42 xf86vmproto.h -> xf86vmode.h

It's only a workaround, but better than wait for a fix. It's already filed in the gentoo bug database.
jay

Post by jay »

OK, I was blocked a bit both by private life and by this ***** BIOS update thing...

To make it short: For N510 I would recommend to keep the Windows install, shrinking the partition to 20GB. It's a sacrifice, but if you do not need every GB it will make life easier. I did not try the dos usb boot method described in another thread here, simply because I needed a Windows (sig!) on a laptop (sig!sig!) in order to launch the BIOS updater and eventually be able to extract the files.

As I already wiped away the Win partition, I had to do some magic in order to reactivate the backup stored on the Samsung recovery partition (at least I left this one).

An important thing to know, is that as soon as you overwrite the MBR of your disk (for example with grub), the F4 recovery WON'T WORK ANYMORE.

In order to reactivate it, I had to boot this partition (like a Windows one) with grub. But the recovery program expects the Windows C: partition directly after its own partition (it does not re-create partitions), so I had to recreate my disk layout, moving the grub boot partition afterwards (and rewriting the MBR with grub, which is not included in the gentoo live CD, so I had to copy the binary from my other gentoo box - you see, I had fun figure this out step by step). And that's not all, since I recreated the WinXP partition, I also had to rewrite the partitions boot sector. As I had a working Windows boot sector on the recovery partition, a dd copy of its first sector did the trick...

Well, in the end I succeeded: I restored the Windows in a smaller partition and updated my BIOS with the official installer. No I will study, if I can create an USB boot medium from this install in order to get rid of the win partition (and the recovery partition, too).

I had to do so also for a very simple reason: I do not own any Windows install medium any more, from which I would have been able to create a virtualbox like suggested in the other thread. But I had a legal license on my disk, so did not want to do illegal things and waste time on this with strange windows images.

One thing is clear: The pre-installed windows really sucks. Not only because it's Windows, they also put a load of useless software which slows the machine down to unusable. Nice finding: Pointing IE to samsung.com and starting there a search from the homepage, MAKES IE CRASH. Seriously. Very good propaganda for your products, Samsung...

So obviously all this I did only in order to be able to reinstall my backup of gentoo :lol: . Afterwards I will let you know, if the BIOS update was worth the effort...
jay

Re: Gentoo on Samsung N510 - Backlight hope?

Post by jay »

I stumbled over this one:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=655144

So there is hope, it seems. Will check.

PS: The BIOS update itself appearently changed nothing, after restoring my backup everything works (and something works not) like before...
jay

Post by jay »

OK, i tried this patch and backlight control now works! I still have to configure the Fn keys, but that should not be a problem...

BTW, gentoo dropped KDE 3.5 packages and with this knetworkmanager. As I could not find any good replacement, I kept the old ebuild and it works here on KDE 4.3. But if anybody knows about a good KDE alternative, please speak up!
Brezell

Post by Brezell »

Hi Jay,
got my N510 two weeks ago, also using gentoo.
Some things already work, some do not.

I wonder what you need to get the webcam working. Which kernel options are required? Which app do you use to check the webcam? xawtv?
If you would have a .config of your kernel, that would be very helpful.

Many thanks,
Brezell
jay

Post by jay »

Hi Brezell,

find attached the kernel config I am currently using. Please note, that I also applied the backlight patch from archlinux.

I tested video with Skype, and it works.

Ciao,

Jens
Last edited by voria on 28 Nov 2009, 19:09, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Attachments added, other off topic posts deleted to keep the discussion cleaned.
Brezell

Post by Brezell »

Hi Jay,
thanks for the info.
To my surprise Skype can use the camera fine, but xawtv, mplayer, camsource and all else fail. I will have to investigate a little bit further what that might be.

Cheers,
Brezell
jay

Post by jay »

You're welcome. So I will have to check this video thing, too...
Please post any findings!
pycior

Post by pycior »

Just about to install Gentoo on this netbook and while searching for compatibility issues I noticed the brightness control issue. The N510 has a bios switch that disables user-control brightness and allows only control vi acpi calls (mainly samsung software or standard battery / power adapter states). All You have to do is change it from "auto" to "user-controlled" and the keyboard fn shortcuts work perfectly :).

P.s. remember to compile mplayer with vdpau and use -vo vdpau. It' takes the load from your CPU and process the video by the GPU (nice ION feature)

(found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ZViStdx60)