Recompiling nc10-backlight After Kernel Update

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
geekinthesticks

Recompiling nc10-backlight After Kernel Update

Post by geekinthesticks »

First of all many thanks for all your hard work in making the nc10 ppa available. After the recent kernel update to 2.6.31-17-generic I though I would have a go at updating the nc1-backlight app.

After changing all instance of 2.6.31-16 I could find to 2.6.31-17 and running dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc, I found that the 2.6.31-16_2.6.31-16 packages were sill being produced. Having read various packing howto's I still can't work out what I need to change.

Finally I thought if I could get the bzr branch I could simply do a diff between the versions. However, I can't work out how to clone a branch from a ppa.

If you could provide pointers on where to start I would be happy to provide diffs for the update and for future updates.

Ian.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Recompiling nc10-backlight After Kernel Update

Post by voria »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
Kernel 2.6.31-17 is available only on proposed repository, and I do not provide packages for proposed updates.

Anyway, you can easily build your own package starting from the packages sources.
There is no branch for 'nc10-backlight' on my launchpad account; instead, you can get the sources (.tar.gz) of the latest available version directly from the repository page (link).
The version of the built packages is detected automatically during the build process by parsing the changelog, so all you have to do is to edit the file 'debian/changelog' and change the version to the one you want to build for.

In other words, change the line:

Code: Select all

nc10-backlight (2.6.31-16~ppa1~nc10~karmic) karmic; urgency=low
in

Code: Select all

nc10-backlight (2.6.31-17~ppa1~nc10~karmic) karmic; urgency=low
then use 'dpkg-buildpackage' to build the new .deb packages.
Obviously, make sure the needed dependencies for building the packages are installed (in this case, you need 'linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic' installed).
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
geekinthesticks

Re: Recompiling nc10-backlight After Kernel Update

Post by geekinthesticks »

Thanks very much. I hadn't realized the package was built using the changelog. That explains why my changed to the source kept getting overwritten :) I got the source using apt-get source.

I have now made the changes successfully.

Ian.