[n310] wifi ath5k slow

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
endless

[n310] wifi ath5k slow

Post by endless »

Hello,

Another issue with my n310 is that the wifi with the ath5k module is very slow. I have installed the windows xp driver with ndiswrapper and this is much faster. However, i don;t think this plays nicely after suspend, and also the samsung-scripts do not work with ndiswrapper. Is there a way to improve the performance of the ath5k module??

$ lspci | grep Network
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Thanks!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [n310] wifi ath5k slow

Post by voria »

Strange, the ath5k driver has done great step forward in the last few month, and now it works generally very good.
What you mean with slow? Keep in mind that the connection bitrate is adaptive, it jumps from 1Mbit to 54Mbit as soon as it's needed.

Anyway, if you are sure the current driver is working slow, try to install the 'linux-backports-modules-karmic' package, containing a newer ath5k driver that may fix your problem.

Instead, if you plan to continue to use ndiswrapper, set the following options in '/etc/default/samsung-scripts' in order to make the scripts work good:

Code: Select all

WIRELESS_TOGGLE_METHOD=1
WIRELESS_MODULE="ndiswrapper"
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
endless

Post by endless »

It is strange; at work it is fine, but at home it takes ages to connect, and when it is connected it is very slow to load pages, etc.

Especially at home, I get a lot of these:

ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo

in my dmesg. I will now try the backported modules and report back.
endless

Post by endless »

The backport modules did not bring any improvement for me; dmesg is still full of

ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo

I will use ndiswrapper for now. Is there any owner of a N310 that can confirm this?
Haynes

Post by Haynes »

I don't have an n310 but i can confirm this for the NC10.

After i installed the windows driver with ndiswrapper the speed and the distance i can be away from my router drastically improved.
Haynes

Post by Haynes »

no edit button after a few hours anymore?
I guess I have to make a double post then. Sry about that.

I wanted to add that I searched several forums while i was trying to get a better wlan.
This seems to be a general Problem with the atheros driver.
There are 2 Problems with it:
1.) it often has something like timeouts where a download just stops for 1-2 seconds when set to the default config.
It seems that the driver can't handle the 54MBps good. Setting the MBps rate to 26 solves this problem, but sacrifices a bit of the maximum speed.
2.) The short range possible to the router compared to the windows driver.
Setting the MBps rate to 26 seems to help a little bit, but not much.

So currently the only driver that gives high range and high speed seems to be the windows driver with ndiswrapper.
TwanK

Post by TwanK »

At my n110 I have problems with wifi as well. When I connect an external screen (at home), I get a lot of unsupported jumbos and ping times of seconds to my wireless router.

Twan