nc10 Desktop Setup

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
beegary

nc10 Desktop Setup

Post by beegary »

Firstly thank you voRia for the excellent forum and nc10 scripts.

I was wondering what peeps here use to get a good looking desktop on Samsung netbooks. I have a nc10.

Do you use Cairo-dock? Docky? Compiz? Conky?

I would be grateful for some screenshots.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: nc10 Desktop Setup

Post by voria »

beegary wrote:Firstly thank you voRia for the excellent forum and nc10 scripts.
You're welcome. ;)
beegary wrote: I was wondering what peeps here use to get a good looking desktop on Samsung netbooks. I have a nc10.
Do you use Cairo-dock? Docky? Compiz? Conky?
I would be grateful for some screenshots.
I've attached a screenshot of my current desktop.
I use compiz with a custom set of effects enabled (the ones that fit my tastes).
The desktop theme is a mix between gnome-colors themes, bisigi-project themes, and random wallpapers found on gnome-look.org.
The font I use is droid ('sudo apt-get install ttf-droid' to get it). :)
Last edited by voria on 09 Mar 2010, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached image deleted, as it's been corrupted during last forum update. My fault, I'm sorry. :(
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
ossas81

Post by ossas81 »

that setup looks nice. On my NC10, I falsely believed that only using one taskbar was better, and that the taskbar should be as narrow as possible (so that most of the screen can be used).

However, it makes navigation of the menus very difficult. I might try a larger setup from now on.
beegary

Post by beegary »

Here is my current desktop, but a change is overdue!

I used the following from gnome-look.org
Yasis-Sky Icons
SuperSteel Theme/Colour Scheme
Gnome Colour Chooser

Think I will check out the droid Font!
On my NC10, I falsely believed that only using one taskbar was better, and that the taskbar should be as narrow as possible (so that most of the screen can be used).
I thought the same originally but I now prefer to use 2 bars and autohide them both.
Last edited by voria on 09 Mar 2010, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached image deleted, as it's been corrupted during last forum update. My fault, I'm sorry. :(
miplou

Post by miplou »

Hi !

This is my NC10 desktop :

On bottom, an auto-hide cairo-dock with opened windows, basic launchers, weather, directories, wifi, etc. I configured it to have a good compromise between fluidity and low resource consumption.
On top, an auto-hide gnome panel with systray, ubuntu menu, time, rhythmbox controler and some option which have no reason to be in the bottom dock.
Compiz works only for basic minimize/maximise and open/close effects and there is only one desktop, no more.
They are auto-hidden in order to have all the avaible screen resolution for windows, but hidden gnome-panel always holds 1px on the top of the screen...

Don't hesitate if you have any question !

Bye !

PS: Sorry if my english is bad !
cywhale

Post by cywhale »

Ubuntu Karmic, Compiz (minimal effect settings), Avant Window Navigator Dock holding only main menu + currently used applications + networkmanager + customized digital clock, no starters, dock autohiding.

Maximized application windows without titlebar (removed via compiz), firefox customized to hold buttons, adress bar and some of the most important bookmarks with favicons only in one toolbar.

For quickstarting applications I configured keyboard shortcuts like "Strg-Alt-f" for Firefox, "Strg-Alt-t" for GNome-Teminal,...

This way I get a maximum of usable screen space to use...
beegary

Post by beegary »

cywhale wrote: Maximized application windows without titlebar (removed via compiz)
Could you explain how you do this? I have CompizConfig installed

Thanks
cywhale

Post by cywhale »

In the settings for decoration plugin you should have a input field containing "any" for the window types to be decorated. Simply replace "any" with "!state=maxvert " - after that windows which are vertically maximized will not be decorated anymore.
ossas81

Post by ossas81 »

Here's mine. some notes:

-completely disabled compiz to reduce cpu usage and increase battery life. Installed a work-around for the one compiz thing I really wanted to keep ("negative" : can be done with the command "xcalib -i -a").

-customized menu and removed many unnecessary items.

-i've tried those OSX-like dock applications, but just don't like them. They also contribute to many cpu-wakeups, hurting battery life.

-I use the google chrome browser now. I find it to be much faster, and less cpu intensive than Firefox, and plays videos better.

-Under minimal usage (bluetooth/wireless off, dim display, low CPU speed, using only a text-editor for note taking), the NC10 uses 8W. I can get 6.5-7hr under these conditions.

I've tried various setups and distros (netbook-remix, moblin, chromeOS), but constantly get frustrated, and return to a bare-bones desktop. Although if Moblin ever becomes stable enough, I'd use it on another small partition (it boots in under 10 seconds)
Last edited by voria on 09 Mar 2010, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.