[N140] Disk Freezing

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
monxster

[N140] Disk Freezing

Post by monxster »

Hi there,

After trying linux on my Samsung N140 late last year I reverted back to M$ Winsucks XP as I was having the following problems:

1. FN Keys (Could not regulate brightness)
2. I was experiencing a system freeze approx 5 mins after boot up which according to Arch Linux forums was due to a SATA hardreset problem.

It is my understanding that the FN keys are now all fully supported which is great!

However, I was wondering if the freezing problem is now gone? If so can someone please let me know so I can re-install Linux? My other PC has broken so the N140 is now my main machine so cannot really afford for it to be unstable with testing, etc...

Any info would be much appreciated.

Best,
Monxster
monxster

Re: [N140] Disk Freezing

Post by monxster »

Any one?
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Hi,
there is a custom kernel on my repository that fixes the FN keys release on Samsung N140 (along with other models).
I also applied a patch which should fix the freezing problem on Samsung N130/N140 (I grabbed it from the archlinux wiki, where it's reported as a fix, however I'm yet waiting for reports from N130/N140 users, so I don't know if it really fixes the problem).

Unfortunately, this is all I can say, I can't give you the assurance that the freezing problem is completely fixed. I'm sorry.

Anyway, if you decide to go for a try, follow the instructions in this thread.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
marshmn

Post by marshmn »

Hmmm, sorry if I didn't report back about this before, I thought I had.

I've been using the kernel from voria's repository on my N140 for about a month now and I haven't seen any of the freezes since I started using it (previously I was seeing the freeze after ~5 mins every time), so yes, the kernel does fix the freezing :)

Matt
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Good to know, thanks for the report. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!