New application's coming: Samsung Tools!

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New application's coming: Samsung Tools!

Post by voria »

FN keys yet need to be fixed in lucid for a lot of models.
Anyway, does 'samsung-tools' work from command line (use the command 'samsung-tools --help' to get instructions on how to use it)?
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Another call to volunteers. :P

I yet need a new application icon (I really don't like the current one), and other icons to show in the notification bubble when the CPU fan speed is changed (one for each option: 'normal', 'silent' and 'speed'). At the moment for the CPU fan speeds the application uses CPU temperature icons, and they are not really appropriate.

So, someone make me happy! ;D
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I've started to work on a new set of options for 'Samsung Tools', for power management.
Here is a first screenshot: :)
OphiuchuS

Post by OphiuchuS »

Wow, looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out! Will it work for all Samsung Models, especially for N140?
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

These are generic options managed through the 'laptop-mode-tools' daemon, so yes, they should work with any model. ;)
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I've added new icons for CPU fan status and for menus/applet, they are already available in the latest version of 'samsung-tools' on the repository.
Feel free to post here new icons if you don't like these ones. :P
JMFTheVCI

Post by JMFTheVCI »

In the latest Samsung-Tools the option to specify how the wireless is toggled is no longer there.
On my NC10 I had to set this to iwconfig to get the Fn-F9 to become available.
The latest version has no wireless toggling available at present. The system service tab no longer offers the same functionality.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

The toggle method options are gone because there is only one toggle method now, ie by using the 'easy slow down manager' interface. The reason for this is that this method is the best and more generic, and it should work for any model.

You need the 'easy-slow-down-manager' package installed to get full functionalities with 'Samsung Tools'.
JMFTheVCI

Post by JMFTheVCI »

I have both easy-slowdown-manager and samsung-tools installed. I had both of these installed even before today's update.
With the current code the wireless is not enable-disable-able. The option for wireless on the tray applet is grey'd out and using Fn-F9 tells me that wireless switching is not available.
This is a Samsung NC10 on Lucid (10.04) Beta2. All current fixes as of 17:00UTC this evening.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I've had the same problem on my NC10 after the latest kernel update (2.6.32-20). For some reason which I'm yet investigating, the 'easy-slow-down-manager' has not been automatically updated against the new kernel. A manual reinstallation of the 'easy-slow-down-manager' and 'samsung-backlight' packages fixes the problem:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall easy-slow-down-manager samsung-backlight
Then, restart the samsung-tools system service:

samsung-tools -S
manmohan

Post by manmohan »

voRia wrote:FN keys yet need to be fixed in lucid for a lot of models.
Anyway, does 'samsung-tools' work from command line (use the command 'samsung-tools --help' to get instructions on how to use it)?
Done... Everything is working great after yesterday's update. Now everything is perfect.

In samsung-scripts there was one CPU frequency power saver 10000Hz, performance 16000Hz and automatic mode, what happened to that? In its place there is some fan-speed regulator.

Great work this is much better than the scripts.

About the New Icon, what I feel a generic icon should be used as when someone changes the icon theme, the present icon should not look odd. (Just My Say)

This icon is better than the previous one.
JMFTheVCI

Post by JMFTheVCI »

voRia wrote:I've had the same problem on my NC10 after the latest kernel update (2.6.32-20). For some reason which I'm yet investigating, the 'easy-slow-down-manager' has not been automatically updated against the new kernel. A manual reinstallation of the 'easy-slow-down-manager' and 'samsung-backlight' packages fixes the problem:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall easy-slow-down-manager samsung-backlight
Then, restart the samsung-tools system service:

samsung-tools -S
I had to go into Synaptic and force the selection of the package. For reasons best known to the system it had the old 2.6.31-20 karmic version instead of the new Lucid version of easy-slow-down-manager.
Once installed the dkms built the module as intended and the wireless is now toggle-able.
Thanks.
Dominator

Post by Dominator »

Hi!

Today udev got updated and I had to force it to use the version from the PPA to get the Fn keys to work again.

Wireless isn't toggleable on my N220. It just says "Wireless control is not available".
lspci wrote: 05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)
I'm using the Windows XP driver with ndiswrapper because the connection wasn't stable with ath9k. I hope that helps.

Besides of toggling wireless everything else works like a charm!
Thank you very much voRia, for the great work you're doing!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Dominator wrote: Today udev got updated and I had to force it to use the version from the PPA to get the Fn keys to work again.
I've just uploaded a newer version on the repository. ;)
Dominator wrote: Wireless isn't toggleable on my N220. It just says "Wireless control is not available".
Please try to force the reinstallation of the 'easy-slow-down-manager' package, as it was explained in a post above. This should fix the problem.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Yet another feature added. ;)
samsung-tools-preferences-5.png
A PHC-enabled kernel is needed to use this feature.
If anyone wants to try it, there is the latest version of the official kernel for Lucid already patched and ready to be installed on my testing repository.
Just for the record, that kernel also includes the patch for the freezing issue on Samsung N130/N140.