NC10 / VGA-out Issues

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
kadrach

NC10 / VGA-out Issues

Post by kadrach »

Hey, I need some pointers on troubleshooting ext Vga out issues.

I had dual screen set up using xrandr, and didn't fuck with it otherwise.

Just a few hours ago, the external screen went "blank", but it is still receiving a signal, and the desktop is still there, ie i can move the mouse pointer onto it. But the monitor is just blank.

Resetting/restarting, reconfiguring xrandr etc DID NOT help. Also, no errors as far as I can tell in xsessions, Xorg.0.log, syslog and dmesg.

Anyone got an idea of whats going on?

EDIT: Also, cloning output does not help, monitor stays blank.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NC10 / VGA-out Issues

Post by voria »

Are you using Karmic?
If so, the problem is caused by compiz, then you have to disable it before enabling the vga out.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
kadrach

Post by kadrach »

I started with Hardy, no compiz. Worked fine, then suddenly, bam, nothing works.

Have now upgraded to Lucid, still does not work, neither with compiz nor metacity. Problem is definitely X related.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

That's strange, on my NC10 the VGA out works as expected out-of-the-box (using Lucid).
Are you sure it's not an hardware problem? Do you have another OS (like windows) installed to test if the VGA out works with it?
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
kadrach

Post by kadrach »

It does work with a live cd. So definitely not hardware related. But why the hell wont a restart fix it? The problem must lie in some part of the system that is saved/restored on reboot. The last thing I recall happening is the monitor/desktop slowly fading/blanking as if it was about to enter screensaver mode.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Perhaps you are using a custom xorg.conf file which may have broke vga out support?
If so, try to remove it. Also, just to be sure, create a new temp user and try to enable the VGA out with it.