Last visit was: It is currently 21/08/2014, 3:22


All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 15/05/2010, 16:18 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 30/04/2010, 15:37
Posts: 5
Hi,

I've installed samsung-tools (http://ppa.launchpad.net/voria/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main samsung-tools 1.0.2~ppa1~loms~lucid) but got some problems :

1- i've first uninstalled samsung-scripts, then installed samsung-tools. Now i can't change the britghtness with Fn key.

2- i can't change the fan speed : "samsung-tools --cpu silent" says that the fan control is not available

3- i can't access to the Preferences of the gnome applet of samsung-tools : if i click on this menu, nothing appears.

Thank you for your help ! :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 15/05/2010, 22:21 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 18/08/2009, 15:51
Posts: 26
I add a question to that topic for the NC10:

In Lucid I can change only the fan behaivor silent, normal, fast. In Karmic I can change the cpu throttle between powersaving, on demand and performance. This was more useful for me than fanspeed. In battery mode only the powersaving mode is available but too slow for my work. How I can change back to throtteling the cpu-speed?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 16/05/2010, 8:30 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 29/04/2010, 9:33
Posts: 2
Hi,
I have the same problem. I upgraded my N130 from Karmic to Lucid recently.
Uninstalled samsung-scripts and installed samsung-tools, now I can't
change the brightness with Fn + up-arrow and Fn + down-arrow anymore.
I can change the sound level with Fn + left/right arrow though.

Fn + F4 for changing the display layout and Fn + F5 for backlight on/off works
fine.

Would be great to find out how to get the brightness keys working again.

Keep up the good work!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 16/05/2010, 11:50 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: 12/02/2009, 18:08
Posts: 1377
Location: Italy
[R] wrote:
1- i've first uninstalled samsung-scripts, then installed samsung-tools. Now i can't change the britghtness with Fn key.
Both 'samsung-scripts' and 'samsung-tools' don't manage the FN keys for brightness control, since they usually work out-of-the-box. So the problem is not related with them in any way.

Anyway, try to install 'samsung-backlight', reboot and check if the keys work.
[R] wrote:
2- i can't change the fan speed : "samsung-tools --cpu silent" says that the fan control is not available
'samsung-tools' depends on the 'easy-slow-down-manager' kernel module to properly work, which is installed as dependency as soon you install 'samsung-tools'.
After the installation, you have to reboot to have everything in place and working.
[R] wrote:
3- i can't access to the Preferences of the gnome applet of samsung-tools : if i click on this menu, nothing appears.
Same as point 2.

_________________
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 16/05/2010, 12:01 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: 12/02/2009, 18:08
Posts: 1377
Location: Italy
CaptnDifool wrote:
I add a question to that topic for the NC10:

In Lucid I can change only the fan behaivor silent, normal, fast. In Karmic I can change the cpu throttle between powersaving, on demand and performance. This was more useful for me than fanspeed. In battery mode only the powersaving mode is available but too slow for my work. How I can change back to throtteling the cpu-speed?
The original intended behaviour for the Fn-F8 key is to control the CPU fan, and that's what 'samsung-tools' does now. The CPU throttle was just a temporary replacement when the CPU fan control was not available. Also, controlling the CPU governors was a almost useless thing, since the ondemand is the best governor to use in any case, even when on battery.

In any case, if you really want to control the CPU governor in use, there is a gnome applet you can use just for that.

_________________
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 16/05/2010, 14:24 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 29/04/2010, 9:33
Posts: 2
OK, I re-installed samsung-backlight and it turns out I didn't have the latest version
of this package after upgrading to Lucid via Synaptic. Got a bit over-eager perhaps and re-installed
samsung-tools and easy-slow-down-manager at the same time...
anyways, now it is all working! The screen brightness, and sound level can be adjusted
using Fn + arrow keys and the samsung-tools F4, F5 etc works fine too.

cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 16/05/2010, 21:27 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 30/04/2010, 15:37
Posts: 5
Hi voRia,

Everything works now, except :
voRia wrote:
Both 'samsung-scripts' and 'samsung-tools' don't manage the FN keys for brightness control, since they usually work out-of-the-box. So the problem is not related with them in any way.

Anyway, try to install 'samsung-backlight', reboot and check if the keys work.

I did, but it doesn't work :-/
What can i do to identify the problem and fix it ?

Thanks for your help !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 18/05/2010, 19:34 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 23/11/2009, 14:30
Posts: 14
I've got the same problem on a N140 and Lucid. Without samsung-backlight the brightness wouldn't change at all, after installing the brightness package I only need to tip on the arrow key once and the brightness goes down by itself to the bottom and vice versa. So I only can put the brighness to min or max, but nothing inbetween :-|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 19/05/2010, 4:23 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 19/05/2010, 3:57
Posts: 3
Hi!

I have some problem with using Samsung Tools. I use Ubuntu Lucid. I set all hotkeys on the 'Session service' tab in the Samsung Tools Preferences GUI to 'Default' and the initial status for all devices to 'Disable' on the 'System service' tab. The problems:

1. When I boot but not log in, the wireless is enabled and gets disabled once I log in. It can be toggled by the hotkey. If I disable it in BIOS, I can't enable it after login. How to set it disabled by default independently of my login?

2. I can't enable the webcam even after login, I get an error message from Metacity: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace). I can toggle the webcam only if I launch Samsung Tools Preferences and set the hotkey for the webcam to 'Default' manually. What should i do?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 20/05/2010, 11:14 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: 12/02/2009, 18:08
Posts: 1377
Location: Italy
[R] wrote:
voRia wrote:
Anyway, try to install 'samsung-backlight', reboot and check if the keys work.

I did, but it doesn't work :-/
What can i do to identify the problem and fix it ?

What does not work? Reinstallation? Or the backlight keys after the packages has been reinstalled?

_________________
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 20/05/2010, 11:16 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: 12/02/2009, 18:08
Posts: 1377
Location: Italy
OphiuchuS wrote:
I've got the same problem on a N140 and Lucid. Without samsung-backlight the brightness wouldn't change at all, after installing the brightness package I only need to tip on the arrow key once and the brightness goes down by itself to the bottom and vice versa. So I only can put the brighness to min or max, but nothing inbetween :-|

Are you using ubuntu or kubuntu?
If kubuntu, be aware that KDE has some bugs yet about the control of brightness, not related in any way with the packages on my repository. Kubuntu users have to wait for an official fix from KDE.

_________________
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 20/05/2010, 11:26 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: 12/02/2009, 18:08
Posts: 1377
Location: Italy
aalex wrote:
1. When I boot but not log in, the wireless is enabled and gets disabled once I log in. It can be toggled by the hotkey. If I disable it in BIOS, I can't enable it after login. How to set it disabled by default independently of my login?
At the moment, the initial status for all devices is set as soon as the session service is started, ie when the user log in. If you want it to be set independently of the login, you can add this command to your file '/etc/rc.local', (all in one line, before the 'exit 0'):
Code:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest='org.voria.SamsungTools.System' '/' org.voria.SamsungTools.System.SetInitialDevicesStatus > /dev/null
aalex wrote:
2. I can't enable the webcam even after login, I get an error message from Metacity: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace). I can toggle the webcam only if I launch Samsung Tools Preferences and set the hotkey for the webcam to 'Default' manually. What should i do?
Sorry, but I don't understand... Is that message show in the notification popup? Or in an error dialog?

_________________
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 20/05/2010, 18:50 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 23/11/2009, 14:30
Posts: 14
voRia wrote:
OphiuchuS wrote:
I've got the same problem on a N140 and Lucid. Without samsung-backlight the brightness wouldn't change at all, after installing the brightness package I only need to tip on the arrow key once and the brightness goes down by itself to the bottom and vice versa. So I only can put the brighness to min or max, but nothing inbetween :-|

Are you using ubuntu or kubuntu?
If kubuntu, be aware that KDE has some bugs yet about the control of brightness, not related in any way with the packages on my repository. Kubuntu users have to wait for an official fix from KDE.


Yeah, you're right, I'm using Kubuntu. So I'll wait. Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 20/05/2010, 20:52 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 19/05/2010, 3:57
Posts: 3
voRia wrote:
aalex wrote:
2. I can't enable the webcam even after login, I get an error message from Metacity: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace). I can toggle the webcam only if I launch Samsung Tools Preferences and set the hotkey for the webcam to 'Default' manually. What should i do?
Sorry, but I don't understand... Is that message show in the notification popup? Or in an error dialog?


It's in an error dialog. See the attachment.


Attachments:
Screenshot-Metacity.png
Screenshot-Metacity.png [ 10.96 KiB | Viewed 4605 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Problems with samsung-tools
PostPosted: 20/05/2010, 21:44 
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: 12/02/2009, 18:08
Posts: 1377
Location: Italy
It's the first time I see this error... and it should have nothing to do with "Samsung Tools".

Are you sure the hotkey you want to use for webcam is not already used by another application (which probably triggers that error)?

_________________
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki