Is reinstalling Windows 7 possible on th NB30?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
benger

Is reinstalling Windows 7 possible on th NB30?

Post by benger »

Hello,

I've got an NB30 but I'm not very happy with the OS, so I'm considering replacing it but I have a concern. Will I be able to reinstall Windows 7 if Ubuntu doesn't work for me?

Thanks,

greg
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is reinstalling Windows 7 possible on th NB30?

Post by voria »

Hi,
your netbook should have a hidden recovery partition on HD, used to restore windows.
If you don't touch/delete it while installing ubuntu, then you should be able to use it in case you want to go back to windows.

Besides, from your windows installation, you should be able to burn a DVD containing a full backup of your OS, just check the Samsung utilities, the option should be there.
You need an external DVD burner to do it (of course), but I highly suggest to do it if you care so much in preserving the original windows. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
benger

Post by benger »

Thank you.

This means the Windows installation files were originally on the HD, right? I thought there were a dedicated memory chip or something like that, that stores the distribution.

Too bad I have no external burner and I'd like to dedicate the whole HD to the OS I'm using. I'm tempted to just get rid of Windows for good, but I heard there could be problems with Samsung netbooks under Linux, like overheating and battery issues etc.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

benger wrote:This means the Windows installation files were originally on the HD, right?
Yes, an image of the original OS is stored in an hidden partition on the HD.

Anyway, many users have reported Ubuntu working correctly on Samsung NB30 (but I've not tested it by myself, I have a NC10). if you want to try Linux, my suggestion is to left the hidden recovery partition untouched, so you can install Windows back in case of any problem.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!