samsung-wireless - driver version

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
mikebl71

samsung-wireless - driver version

Post by mikebl71 »

Hi
It looks like the current samsung-wireless is based on the 0012.1210.2009 version of the RealTek driver.
Have you seen that a newer version 0014.0401.2010 is already available?

As usual, it is not available from RealTek web site directly. But google gives plenty of locations where it can be downloaded from. Eg
http://gsimmons.org/src/rtl8192e_linux_ ... 010.tar.gz

According to the Release Notes, it's all minor fixes. But there seem to be lots of changes in the source code. And it works better for me (I had occasional problems with the v12 that it lost networks after disconnect-reconnect, the newer version seems to work fine.)

Could you upgrade your package to the new version? Please.
rogerdean

Re: samsung-wireless - driver version

Post by rogerdean »

Hmmm... I can't see samsung-wireless available for Maverick in the PPA just now. Is the driver in the stock ubuntu kernel now? Doesn't seem to be working for me. Any advice appreciated!
Allbest
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Package 'samsung-wireless' is now available for Maverick and it's updated to version 0014.0401.2010. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
rogerdean

Post by rogerdean »

Thank you very much! But ... hmmm ... it doesn't seem to pick up the wireless hardware on my N130. Anything I can do to help you solve this? Step-by-step instructions have best chance of success!
Cheers
Roger
jowyta

Post by jowyta »

The drivers version 0014.0401.2010 are included in the Debian package firmware-nonfree, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=573950 . However, my N220 still does not work using them.

dmesg shows a CPUcheck_firmware_ready error which tends to suggest the error is with the firmware. However, if I stop ifup running at boot time and then run in manually with strace I see that the failure comes up as a SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted error (see man NETDEVICE(7) for information about this ioctl). This suggests to me that it could be a problem with ifup/ifconfig wrongly trying to set the flags, a problem with the firmware or a problem with the kernel.

I have submitted a bug to Debian about this: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=595026 but if anyone has any expert ideas about further diagnosis please let me know.

John
turbolad

Post by turbolad »

voRia wrote:Package 'samsung-wireless' is now available for Maverick and it's updated to version 0014.0401.2010. ;)
How do I get this latest driver on Maverick?
Cheers Voria. :)
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install samsung-wireless
;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
turbolad

Post by turbolad »

voRia wrote:

sudo apt-get install samsung-wireless
;)
Thanks, it said it's up to date.
I also got this message:

Duplicate sources.list entry http://ppa.launchpad.net/voria/ppa/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_voria_ppa_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_binary-i386_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

I then tried:

sudo apt-get update
but still got the same message.
This is probably because I updated to Maverick over the top of the previous version of Ubuntu Netbook Edition, I'm guessing? :-\
fatgerman

Post by fatgerman »

Hi all,

I just bought a Samsung R780 and found this site very helpful, but the wireless wasn't working (on Kubuntu 10.10 64-bit). It has a R8192E wireless card. I emailed Realtek support who sent me the source code for a new version of the driver within 12 hours, and it works! This is version 0015.1013.2010. Thought I'd give a 'heads-up' here in case you wanted to update the package. The file is too big to attach but I can send it by email.
jowyta

Post by jowyta »

Thanks to fatgerman for sending me a copy of this driver package (as he wrote, Realtek will also send you the package). Indeed, it works on my N220.

This is an out of kernel driver, so before installing it I removed my kernel driver. In my case that meant setting
# CONFIG_RTL8192E is not set
in my kernel .config file and compiling a new kernel. For people who use stock kernels and modules I presume they would need to blacklist this module. I would suggest rebooting before installing the new driver. Slightly expanding the instructions, this is what I did:

Save the rtl8192e_linux_2.6.0015.1013.2010.tar.gz file to a user folder (I have a Downloads/Realtek folder). Extract it (I used archive manager/File roller) and you should get a subfolder rtl8192e_linux_2.6.0015.1013.2010 in the same folder.

Open a root terminal
cd into the rtl8192e_linux_2.6.0015.1013.2010 directory
(Or if you use a user terminal cd as above and then
sudo su)
make
make install
(In my case this step failed complaining that directory /lib/modules/2.6.32-<ver>/kernel/drivers/net/wireless was missing so I did
mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.32-<ver>/kernel/drivers/net
mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.32-<ver>/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
make install)
reboot (power off and reboot, just restarting/rebooting left me with "unable to enumerate usb" problems)

After which I was able to bring wlan0 up manually, I reinstalled network-manager-gnome and everything is working fine.
turbolad

Post by turbolad »

Is there any way to allow all of us with the Realtek wireless to have the newer driver version as an update install?

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks. :)
turbolad

Post by turbolad »

Sorry I clicked the "Submit" button twice. :o
jowyta

Post by jowyta »

turbolad, I am not sure what you mean by "update install". If you mean available through your Linux distribution (e.g. with Debian using aptitude) then it is not going to be available for a while yet.

The firmware, which is available as a Debian package, is irrelevant. All the versions of the firmware seem to be identical anyway.

It is the kernel drivers, which are currently staging drivers, that are not working. To get these drivers available through your distribution requires them to be updated in the kernel. There is a bug:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16594
that is about getting this done. You (and others) could try contacting the kernel developers and Realtek to encourage them to get on with this. Ideally we need Realtek to contribute to getting proper (not staging) Linux drivers for their hardware.

John
turbolad

Post by turbolad »

Could this new Realtek driver be downloaded from Voria, just like Samsung Tools, Samsung backlight etc.?
jowyta

Post by jowyta »

It is now available here:
http://people.debian.org/~benh/rtl-wlan ... 010.tar.gz

Thanks to Ben Hutchings