HOWTO: Use the repository on K/Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
sanjayx

Re: HOWTO: Use the repository on K/Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04

Post by sanjayx »

Hi,
I recently bought the N 148 plus and installed Kubuntu 10.10. All working OK till now but the scroll feature of the touch pad not working. Have not yet tested other things like backlight controls, etc. Could it be because of the samsung tools not being installed. Will the repositories in the 1st post also work in 10.10? Thanx in advance.
Sanjay
wichy5

Post by wichy5 »

I have Ubuntu installed in my N148 plus and I don't know how to install bluetooth drivers, can anyone help me?

Thanks
xcflysurfer

Post by xcflysurfer »

Hi!

I have the Samsung N148 with Ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition!
I've set up previously all the Samsung Tool back light etc and all was working fine!
Now the kernel was upgraded and Backlight doest work :(
anyone else with the same problem?
previous kernel 2.6.35-24 now 2.6.35-25
I tried to reinstall the samsung tools backiht and easy slow etc but same same, no back light!
The backlight icon shows up and goes up and down but nothing happens with the back light :(
whats the best solution? should i try to roll back to the previous kernel (how do I do this?)
or wait for a fix?

PS: does anyone sorted out the sleep function to working properly?

thanks
xcflysurfer

Post by xcflysurfer »

Got it... search
Backlight doesn't work with latest Maverick kernel

the solution is there... :eek:
aneolus

Post by aneolus »

I haven't tried yet to install GNU/Linux in my netbook NF210, but I found in a manual that someone used the http://live.gnome.org/GPointingDeviceSettings If you want to try it and include in the repository, I don't know if exists a KDE version.
surjagain

Post by surjagain »

I installed Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 on a Samsung N148. Then I installed the required updates from the voria repository. Most things worked except the brightness control with the Fn+up/down arrow combination. Since it seems that the current Maverick kernel will not work for brightness control, I used this solution instead from the Ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1397371 A hearty thanks to "wcale" for the solution :)

1. type "lscpi" in the terminal:
The output will be something like:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller

We need the device id from the second line which is the VGA controller, i.e. "00:02.0"

Then type:
"sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 f4.b=3f"
this will change the brightness of the screen. To change the brightness higher or lower, change the value of "b=3f" (which is hexadecimal). You can try 1f, 2f, 3f, 4f, 5f, and so on or any hexadecimal value between 00 and ff to see which is comfortable to the eye. Using a value of "ff" made the screen extremely bright and I thought my eyes would pop out :) so beware! :)
surjagain

Post by surjagain »

Updated to the new voria 2.6.35-27 kernel which is available from today. The brightness control with Fn+up/down in N148 still does not seem to work. The rest of the functions with the Fn button seem to work OK.
There is also another strange problem which I am not sure is related to this. When I start the computer and start Nautilus, it seems to hang for a while.. for about 15 to 20 seconds and then it functions fine.
aneolus

Post by aneolus »

Another software that could be useful to have in the repository: https://code.google.com/p/touchegg/ :)
Touchégg is a multitouch gesture recognizer for GNU/Linux that allows associating actions to each gesture.
Woulouf
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Woulouf »

aneolus wrote:Another software that could be useful to have in the repository: https://code.google.com/p/touchegg/ :)
Touchégg is a multitouch gesture recognizer for GNU/Linux that allows associating actions to each gesture.
Thanks for this information :)
Samsung N150 powered by Voyager 12.04 (Xubuntu)
Brightness control issue with 12.04 LTS : look at this topic http://www.voria.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5753#p5753
balthasar

Post by balthasar »

Hi all,

I have a question.
Everything works fine on my NC10 with samsung-tools.
But i cannot let it work when I log in with a different language then english.

On my nc10 is turkish-language installed, but I have to log in with english to let samsung-tools work.

Am I doing something wrong.

Regards
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

balthasar wrote:Hi all,

I have a question.
Everything works fine on my NC10 with samsung-tools.
But i cannot let it work when I log in with a different language then english.

On my nc10 is turkish-language installed, but I have to log in with english to let samsung-tools work.

Am I doing something wrong.

Regards
Hi,
this is apparently a long standing bug in python (http://bugs.python.org/issue1813 for reference). There is not much I can do from my part, we just have to wait for a fix from upstream. :(
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
balthasar

Post by balthasar »

Hi voria,

Thanks for your informative answer.
Meanwhile it is not a big deal, because we can use much of the programs automatically without seeing/reading names etc.

One more thing for @ turkish users: If you arrange localization as turkish and log on Ubuntu with english, almost --99%-- everything will be turkish.. And mostof the programs have their localization options self.

@voria: This project is wonderful.
gourishankar

Post by gourishankar »

samsung-backlight worked Thanks a ton :)