Any progress on 11.04?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
KunalGautam

Any progress on 11.04?

Post by KunalGautam »

Hey I'd like to know if there is any progress for built for Ubuntu 11.04 :)
airmaniac

Re: Any progress on 11.04?

Post by airmaniac »

Hi KunalGautam,
What progress are you waiting for? Enjoy the work Fortunato (and team?) did for 11.04! Everything working, everything fine on my N130 (no BIOS-Update!) with Natty.
Kernel 2.6.38 contributed to this success by performing no more S-ATA freezes - seems there is no more extra-kernel necessary.
The only "bug" was that I had to invent an Uli-defined shortcut for "webcam off/on".
But I think I can live with that :-))
Greets and have fun
Uli
XTC

Post by XTC »

I've installed 11.04.
Fn keys (with brightness) were working as in 10.04 on my R510 (nv).
(althoug with the same issue with lower value being below "on" state of the backlit).
Today - when I've downloaded some updates (with 2.6.38-9 kernel image) - all Fn keys work but not the backlit keys :(
I've reconfigured samsung-backlight package but no change.
I can't even see backlit bar changing so I think it has to be input issue although I'm not able to trace what I should do to fix it.
wurm0001
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wurm0001 »

Yeah, voria and the samsung-tool hackers did a good job....again (thx!!).
I use the NC10 atom nettop and installed the following packages from the voria ppa
  • easy-slow-down-manager 0.13.7~ppa1~loms~natty
  • samsung-backlight 0.13.7~ppa3~loms~natty
  • samsung-tools 1.3.2~ppa1~loms~natty
  • xbindkeys
The backlight handling works fine. However there are some features not working out of the box. The undervolting feature is not available at natty. I wonder if the packages phc-intel and the udev modifications we had in keramic, lucid and maverick are not needed anymore. Unfortunally the phc intel kernel from launchpad https://launchpad.net/~linux-phc/+archive/ppa still doesn't provide a kernel modification for natty either.

Also I have some doubts concerning the cpu throttling cause the temperature seems a lot higher than in keramic (fan at silent, core temp 54°@ natty, fan at silent core temp. 42° keramic).
In my case the cpufrequ-info shows that the throttling of the cpus is not working correctly. On a desktop with just a shell I mostly have the both cpus (atom core and ht) at 1.6 GHz. At former kernels the throttling toggels to 800 Mhz mostly.

So in my case the samsung tools works fine for:
  • special keys (bluetooth, fan, wlan etc)
  • back light toggling
Following features don't work by just installing samsung tools
  • undervolting
  • cpu throttling
Anyway thx again to voria and crew for supporting such an great tool. Hopefully we get some updates/fixes for natty.

Cheers

Sebastian
marcio

Post by marcio »

I also have noticed average temperature increase on my N230 with ubuntu 11.04, it seems to be related to a problem of the kernel as documented by phoronix:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ess2&num=1
(which by the way, cut in half my battery life, hope they fix soon)
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Hi, first of all thanks for your kind words about my work, they are very appreciated (there is no team behind me, it's just me). ;)

About the CPU undervolting feature, I've just uploaded on the PPA the modified kernel and 'phc-intel' package for Natty. They're in queue to be built right now, they should be available as updates in the next few hours.

@XTC: Has the latest 'samsung-backlight' package fixed your problem? If not, open with a text editor the file '/etc/modprobe.d/samsung-backlight.conf' and comment out the line starting with options, then reboot.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
ghewson

Post by ghewson »

I tried Natty beta 1 on my N150, but there's an intermittent problem with the wireless, and it doesn't work at all on channels 12 & 13. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/708712). I'm hoping the samsung-wireless patch will be ported to Natty.

In the meantime, I'm happily using Maverick, thanks to Voria.
pawiecki

Post by pawiecki »

It's my first post here so hi everyone! :)

First of all i would like to thankyou Voria for your work! I use Ubuntu 11.04 on Samsung N210 and after installing samsung tools and samsung backlight everything works like it should. I haven't tested how's hdd working but it seems ok too.

Earlier i had Ubuntu 10.10 and to make Fn keys, backlight etc work i had to change grub entries and other things, it was a mess for a newbie like me. But this time i just installed it and that's all i had to do :)

So thanks again! I wonder why a big company like Samsung can't make it work and You made it. I will definitely donate as soon as i get a job ;)
XTC

Post by XTC »

@XTC: Has the latest 'samsung-backlight' package fixed your problem? If not, open with a text editor the file '/etc/modprobe.d/samsung-backlight.conf' and comment out the line starting with options, then reboot.[/quote]

Thank You very much! This solved this issue (in fact, the only one left is this total blackout at minimum level with no other option than FN+F5 to switch the backlit on again - but this was this way before and I got used to this).
wurm0001
Supporter
Supporter

intel_phc and kernel patch

Post by wurm0001 »

Last week I tested the latest kernel patch from the ppa repository with the intel_phc modification from voria on my natty. Seems to work fine on the NC10. The nettop runs 6h 10min with the 52mAh battery....usb mouse connected in addition.
First I set all my intel phc vids to 15 with the samsung gui. Didn't have any freezes. So I set the vids to 13 at 800 MHz manually.....still works fine without any crashes. With my usb mouse connected and a maximum dark display setting I have a power consumption of approx 9W...litte above (so says the ubuntu power rate).
I wonder on which parameters you are running the system. Does anyone even have lower consumptions? Maybe vids less than mine?

Still the cpufrqu-info says one core at 800Mhz and the other at 1.6 GHz. Also the temp. seems still higher as mentioned in my post before.

So that's my last update for now ;-)

Cheers

Sebastian

PS: I just donated as well, cause this repository really rocks!
xwaydc

Post by xwaydc »

hello voria! thanks for your support.

Im experiencing some troubleshooting with 11.04 on my n130

With clean installation I have no problems with suspending or hibernating, but after installing all the stuff from the ppa the suspend/hibernate mode fails to work.

When i try to wake my netbook, i get black blank screen and nothing happens
KunalGautam

Post by KunalGautam »

yeshhhhhhh. its working on my 11.04 :D Thanks Voria :D
donbilbo

Post by donbilbo »

Hi there,

i've upgraded to ubuntu 11.04 on my Q45 an added your repository like i did on 10.10. All the FN-Keys are working, except the brightness keys. I have a nvidia card and wondered that there is no nvidia module to install like it is for 10.10.

Are you still working on a nvidia module or isn't it needed under 11.04?

Thanks for your work!
Jnix

Post by Jnix »

I posted this on another thread, but thought it would be relevant here. I have a weird problem in that on my Samsung N150 Plus, with Natty (64-bit). I have voRia's ppa with samsung_backlight and samsung_tools installed. When I first boot up my netbook and then log in to the unity desktop, the brightness level cannot be adjusted with the function keys, though the on screen notification for brightness changes appears in the top right of the screen. If I log out of the session, though, I can then change the screen brightness. This ability to change the screen brightness remains when I log back in!

Has anyone else experienced this?
Jnix

Post by Jnix »

Apologies for posting a second time -- I could not see how to edit my previous post. Anyway, further to my last post, all I need to do to fix the backlight problem is drop down into tty1 (Alt+Ctrl+F1), log in and restart gdm, i.e.

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
Any ideas on how this might be working?