What happened to the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
poohsen

What happened to the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package?

Post by poohsen »

Hi guys,

I was playing around with the package some weeks ago and it worked ok for me but I had to install it with dpkg for some reason. I downloaded it right of http://ppa.launchpad.net/voria/ppa/ubun ... synaptics/ back then, as far as I remember. I don't have that .deb anymore since I installed natty, and the directory is empty now.
Can anyone tell me what happened to that package? Is the "vertical touchpad sensitivity" issue fixed differently now or something?

regards,
poohsen

ps: I got a NC10
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What happened to the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics packag

Post by voria »

That package was for ubuntu 9.10 (karmic koala) and it's not needed anymore since the vertical sensitivity problem was fixed some time ago.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
poohsen

Post by poohsen »

I see. I searched the forum before posting because I was already suspecting something like that, but I didn't find any clues. Can someone tell me how this issue was resolved or link to the relevant discussion?

regards,
poohsen
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Take a look at this bug report:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18351

Basically, the synaptics driver autodetects the correct vertical/horizontal ratio when used in conjuction with kernels >= 2.6.31.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
poohsen

Post by poohsen »

Hmm. I wonder why I'm still getting that buggy behaviour in Natty. But I'll look into this. Maybe there is some config files I need to manipulate or something...

Thank you very much for your answers!

poohsen
poohsen

Post by poohsen »

ok, I had another look at this issue, and it seems that when I install the normal xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package in natty and reboot, I get buggy behaviour. If I remove the package and reboot, then something else is driving my touchpad and the issue disappears, although I noticed that the cursor is more "jiggy" than with synaptics.

I believe that the best results I have seen so far were obtained with vorias patched synaptics package.
Does anybody know if I can still install it in natty somehow?
To the people that used to have this vertical sensitivity issue: did it really go away by itself in natty?

regards,
poohsen