What is current status of development?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
fanys12

What is current status of development?

Post by fanys12 »

Hi Voria,
it has been 3 months of last update (i am thinking both - testing and stable).
What is with development? Do you still want to continue or is it dead?
I am asking for that because i can't use your repos for following reasons:

1) Testing also include packages not related with samsung-tools - i don't want them
2) Stable has old version of samsung-laptop with many bugs
3) Stable has problems with ussage on Ubuntu 12.04 because of linux package.

So, when do you plan this please?

1) Update samsung-laptop and samsung-tools into stable?
2) Include support for precise pangolin(precise reached beta state yesterday - many users upgraded and now is time to prepare repositories - somebody will continue using precise pangolin for 5 years! )

And - samsung-backlight is no longer needed in precise(tested on N210).
Thank you for answer :)

Sorry for my bad English.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is current status of development?

Post by voria »

fanys12 wrote:Hi Voria,
it has been 3 months of last update (i am thinking both - testing and stable).
What is with development? Do you still want to continue or is it dead?
Hi,
I'm sorry for the delays on the development of the "Linux On My Samsung" project.
This is a tough time... time is going on, I'm yet jobless and I really need to redefine my priorities, meaning less time to work on this project. :(
fanys12 wrote: So, when do you plan this please?

1) Update samsung-laptop and samsung-tools into stable?
2) Include support for precise pangolin(precise reached beta state yesterday - many users upgraded and now is time to prepare repositories - somebody will continue using precise pangolin for 5 years! )
1) My plans were to add more features to Samsung Tools, release it as version 2.1 and then add it to stable PPA (along with newer samsung-laptop, of course).
But, since you asked, I will release it in the next few days in its current state (just some updated translations and a fix to backlight control).

2) I hope to find the time to install precise pangolin in the next few days, so I can start to rebuild my packages for it and add them to the PPA.

Just for information, when precise pangolin will be released, my plans are to drop support for all the previous ubuntu versions and stay focused on the latest version.
The reason is always the same... all the work here is done by me (both PPA and forum maintenance) and I've no time to keep track of all the changes happening on 3-4 different versions of ubuntu.
Also, I will remove the linux packages from the PPA. Their purpose is to add support for PHC kernel modules in order to allow CPU undervoling. Apart from that, they are identical to the official ubuntu kernels.
Since the "linux-phc" team now has a PPA providing PHC enabled kernels, I see no reason to duplicate efforts.
fanys12 wrote: Thank you for answer :)

Sorry for my bad English.
You're welcome.
Well, your english is better than mine. ;)

Greetings. :)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
fanys12

Post by fanys12 »

Thank you for answer.
Thank you for your work on samsung-tools - this is N.1 PPA, that i add after install.
Btw, oneiric version works on precise ,,out-of-box,, - just manualy rewrite distro from precise to oneiric after adding ppa and everything is ok.
You can try to write e-mail to omgubuntu.co.uk authors and they can write some review about samsung-tools - you'll get more visitors to this page and more(potential) donators or co-programmers.
And, good luck in finding job.
Once again - (great) thank you!
manufacturedba

Post by manufacturedba »

Thank you Voria for all your hard work. You've made my experience with my laptop a whole lot smoother! Wish I knew how to do what you've done.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I've just uploaded on the PPA the first packages for Precise Pangolin. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
fanys12

Post by fanys12 »

Today, i've downloaded precise packages and installed them > everything works ok, thanks.