n145 egalax driver eGTouchD load after Xorg server starts

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
rockets

n145 egalax driver eGTouchD load after Xorg server starts

Post by rockets »

I have a n145 with egalax touch screen (usb). The EETI guide states:

"As DetectRotation is enabled, eGTouch driver (has) to be executed after X-server is ready (We use Xlib to do detection). You have to remove the eGTouch execution in rc.local because it would not work out. Please put eGTouch execution in the sequence after OS's X server is ready."

The guide further provides solution for gdm:
1-modify the file "default" under /etc/gdm/init
2- add eGTouch execution /usr/bin/eGTouchD at ehe end of file but before "exit 0"
3-reboot system

I understand just enough of this to be wildly dangerous!!!!!

Further, I had a fully functioning Ubuntu 11.10 with touch screen and Fn keys working faultlessy and reliably, until I blindly used "update manager" to go to 12.04 lts.....now the system freezes on use of touchscreen or almost any thing...and requires tty login, "sudo reboot" to recover.

Now the eGTouchD daemon is not loaded unless I execute "/usr/bin/eGTouchD" from terminal.

Question:????>>>> where, what do I modify to get the daemon loaded after X-server start....????

I don't know if this daemon is the full solution or not, but it definitely is a starting point to getting 12.04 working.
rockets

Re: n145 egalax driver eGTouchD load after Xorg server start

Post by rockets »

Update:
I also posted this on the ubuntu forums>>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st11905289

I have been updating with update manager, each and every change coming in...There appears to be some improvement, but I still periodically get bug report on nautilus when I use lxde. My problem seems to be related to the touchscreen and touchpad, and I do not know how to troubleshoot this....

I have recalibrated the egalax touchscreen using the egalaxu calibrator, forced loading of the eGTouchD daemon via startup applications, and deleted the eGTouchD commands from /etc/gdm/init and rc.local.

It is marginally usable...Now the touchscreen cursor position drops down and to the right about 1/3 of the screen when the touchpad is used, and right click with the touchscreen stylus comes up displaced from the cursor.

Looks like a simple calibration/sync problem....please someone guide me to trouble shoot or correct...

thanks, dan
vaiodon

Re: n145 egalax driver eGTouchD load after Xorg server start

Post by vaiodon »

There's a bug in the kernel shipped with 12.04 to date that renders the eGalax touchscreen unusable, I also took the cavalier move of updating to 12.04 without checking the release notes. It looks like a fix is in the pipeline.

'eGalaxis Touchscreen Driver does not work. Patches have been backported from upstream and will be immediately available in a kernel update from the precise-updates pocket following 12.04's release. (913164)'

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin ... ntuDesktop

Thankfully, I've enough storage to create an alternate install for 11.10

Did you get rotation working successfully on 11.10?