Running Ubuntu on a NP350E7C-A05UK Samsung laptop

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
dreamkatcha

Running Ubuntu on a NP350E7C-A05UK Samsung laptop

Post by dreamkatcha »

Hi,

I've followed the instructions to install the repository etc. but can't find Samsung Tools in the Software Centre. My main problem at the moment is that my fan is running constantly so I suspect my CPU is taking a hammering for no good reason. Is there any way to reduce the load on it?

Next up, I can't use the volume adjuster keys without the volume slider going crazy and locking up my menu options and pretty much everything else making my system unuseable until I reboot.

Any other tips for getting Ubuntu to play nicely with my particular model would be much appreciated please.
qwertz42

Re: Running Ubuntu on a NP350E7C-A05UK Samsung laptop

Post by qwertz42 »

Hi dreamkatcha,

I am currently stuck with the same problems. Don't have a solution yet, but a little help:
dreamkatcha wrote: Next up, I can't use the volume adjuster keys without the volume slider going crazy and locking up my menu options and pretty much everything else making my system unuseable until I reboot.
The Fn-keys don't work properly (a nuisance to be sure), so I try to avoid them for the time being (i.e. until a fix has appeared). If I hit the Fn + mute button my keyboard is mostly lost (e.g. can't type text anymore). To avoid rebootig the system too often I just switch to a regular console (with [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [F1]) and then return to X (the graphical interface) with [Alt] + [F7]. Now the keyboard works again. The same should be possible for the volume-Fn-keys.

Cheers
qwertz42
dreamkatcha

Post by dreamkatcha »

Not ideal, but a good workaround for now. Thanks for the tip. :)
dreamkatcha

Post by dreamkatcha »

Just thought I'd pop in to share another option I found here.

Unless we can find a way to associate the other F-keys in the same manner, you'd have to remember not to press the function key before you adjust the volume. Otherwise it works pretty well.