Ubuntu 14.04

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
FTtk

Ubuntu 14.04

Post by FTtk »

Will there be a PPA vor Ubuntu 14.04?

I would love to see samsung-tools and samsung-backlight for Trusty Tahr.
Now I can't control the fan and the FN keys for the backlight are not working.

Thx
Honza Bouma

Re: Ubuntu 14.04

Post by Honza Bouma »

+1
FTtk

Post by FTtk »

Found some kind of "Workaround" at least for my Samsung R519 with Intel Graphics.
- To get the background light working edit /etc/default/grub

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
and change the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
, then

sudo update-grub 
- To see Temperatures (but not with the FN-keys -.-) i use Psensors http://wpitchoune.net/blog/psensor/ for a Indicator in the tray. It's possible to set a temperature when you want to get a warning.
- Get the fan to slow down when necessary, install TLP on laptops.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linrunner/tlp
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tlp tlp-rdw
Honza Bouma

Post by Honza Bouma »

It is about on switches on/off Wifi, bt, cam. and regulation of cooler for me
FTtk

Post by FTtk »

Honza Bouma wrote:It is about on switches on/off Wifi, bt, cam. and regulation of cooler for me
Ah okay.
Switching Wifi on and off with FN keys does not work for me either, but I can turn it on/off in the network manager of ubuntu.
Don't have BT and Cam so no idea how to deal with it.
For regualtion of the fan/cooler I would recommend you TLP at least until there is a samsung-tools for 14.04.
You can't control the fan with it but it does a really good job controling it itself. My Laptop is now much more quiet and the temperature is much lower too. Nice side effect ist saving power and having it last longer in battery operation.

Like I said, it is only some kind of "workaround". At least now most of the stuff works but I still would love to see samsung-tools for 14.04. Now I don't need samsung-background because it works when you edit /etc/default/grub.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Sorry guys, I will push samsung-tools for ubuntu 14.04 on the repository as soon as possible, right now I don't have access to my ubuntu machine.

In the meanwhile, you can grab the latest version of samsung-tools for ubuntu 13.10 from the repository and install it manually, it should work without problems.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I've pushed the new version of Samsung Tools on the repository for Ubuntu 14.04, it will be available in the next few hours.

The instructions to use il repository are always the same: http://www.voria.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1091
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
FTtk

Post by FTtk »

Nice, works great on my Samsung R519 :D
gbr161

Post by gbr161 »

Ive installed it but it gives "Unable to start a DBus daemon!". Any fix for that?
Honza Bouma

Post by Honza Bouma »

Good news..but I have a problem...I can't control a fan by Fn+F11. And if I switch off bluetooth and Wifi, system tell me all sucsesfully off, but the LED is still lights. When I opend the Samsung chnfiguration tool, go to 2nd tab "system process" (I don't know ariginal English name, I have it in Czech lang) I have empty line in "Control platform" In czech is Ovládací Rozhraní" In previous version for Ubu 12.04 I have seen "samsung-laptop" not empty and all worked well.
I have Samsung NP350U2B, could you fix it, please?
Honza Bouma

Post by Honza Bouma »

I want take it back...I had installed ubuntu in EFI mode...when I installed in classic BIOS mode, the FAN control and LED ARE OK...But..when i set wifi to off in Samsung tools settings, after restart wifi go to off and in a few seconds to on..why? THX
ferrema

Post by ferrema »

On N230 Ubuntu 14.04 :

samsung-tools do the job (waiting for cpu undervolting :) )

backlight : had to add cpi_backlight=vendor, now working like a charm

still missing :
volume control

problems :
resume from sleep.

Thanks a lot for your work !!!

[UPDATE]
just updated the system (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get autoremove), removed gnome-power-save something now the function key + light not work, applet to set the backlight works
ferrema

Post by ferrema »

ferrema wrote:On N230 Ubuntu 14.04 :

still missing :
volume control
[UPDATE]
just updated the system (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get autoremove), removed gnome-power-save something now the function key + light not work, applet to set the backlight works

just restarted the system (needed to check some workaround on the lid/suspend bug) ... now the VOLUME WORKS and I swear to God I didn't touch the configuration of anything but the power managent of the monitor between the previous edit and this .
federicoferriff

Post by federicoferriff »

Hi, I have installed samsung backlight in 12.04 in my NC110 a few years ago and it worked perfectly. When I tried to upgade to 14.04 I couldn't make it work so I reinstalled 12.04 and upgraded to 14.04 from there. I worked at first but with the update to 3.13.0-39-generic kernel it stopped working. I download the tar.gz from https://launchpad.net/~voria/+archive/u ... tal.tar.gz and I tried to do a simple

sudo make install
but it didn't work :/
I have this result:

#source tree
install -d "/usr/src"
cp -a - /usr/src
cp: no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre «-»: No existe el archivo o el directorio
make: *** [install] Error 1

Aproximate translation of 4th line: cp: it can't make `stat' over «-»: File or directory doesn't exist

Can anyone give me a hando with this? Thank you!
wrostek089

Post by wrostek089 »

FTtk wrote:Found some kind of "Workaround" at least for my Samsung R519 with Intel Graphics.
- To get the background light working edit /etc/default/grub

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
and change the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
, then

sudo update-grub 
Just to note that my Samsung NP-P510 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS needs the same update for backlight.

thanks for your info here
Wolfgang R.