I'm highly interested in buying an Ativ 8 (870Z5G), not sure yet if i5 or i7, and dual graphics card (Intel GMA HD Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M [2 GB]), but first I need to be sure of a few things. I plan to install Kubuntu Saucy (14.04) and maybe Manjaro. Knowing about experiences with other distros will be interesting, of course, but since graphics drivers seem to cause issues sometimes, I would be grateful if you also inform if which graphics card(s) you have.
The computer has a 1 TB (5400 rpm) drive, which I may change for a 256 GB ssd disk and Windows 7.
I was wondering if any of you has been able to get these things working well:
- F2/F3 as brightness keys. (I found this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=155225
. It might help if you are having issues.
- Toggling airplane mode with function keys.
- Sleep and hibernation, hopefully working reliably and reasonably fast.
- Does wifi work well in terms of stability?
- Does the touchpad work well? Are multigestures available?
- If you dual boot, how did you solve this? http://i.imgur.com/4jq4iDj.png
- Does something get weird after suspension/hibernation?
- How long does the battery last? I plan a typical use of typing (text, latex, ipython) in airplane mode, maybe ~75% of brightness, and from time to time some light surfing. Another scenario would be same as before but using inkscape and openscad, if these references are useful in any way.
- Does any of the graphics cards work cause functinoality problems at any point? I plan on using bumblebee and I don't mind if I have to login again or reboot for switching graphics.
- Has any update (like the kernel) broken anything?
- What did you do about uefi if you dual boot? Does windows updates cause problems?
And more general questions:
Have you changed the hard disk for an ssd? Is it easy to do?