[SOLVED]Increasing GPU Performance

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
mbt28

[SOLVED]Increasing GPU Performance

Post by mbt28 »

When I differentiate performance of GPU with Ubuntu and Windows XP, XP's performance is 2 - 1,5 times better than Ubuntu?

Direct rendering is enabled, is there any way to increase gpu performance?

Code: Select all

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME GEM 20090326 2009Q1 RC2 x86/MMX/SSE2
My glxinfo output
Last edited by mbt28 on 27 Apr 2009, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

RE: low GPU perfonmance

Post by voria »

The actual intel driver on Jaunty is far from perfect, it suffers many problems yet, perhaps the most important is the constant video tearing...

Anyway there are some xorg.conf options you can try to get better performance, take a look here for more informations.
I have not tested them yet, if you will, please share with us your results. :)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
mbt28

RE: low GPU perfonmance

Post by mbt28 »

Hola :D first way is worked for me, this solution really increases performance of the card. For example, I am a fun of Warcraft 3 and I tested dota map on single player mod, low settings, resolution 1024*600 gives me 18-21 fps at war area. same spefications at medium setting i get 15 fps. 18-21 fps. The game is really playable not smooth but not makes crazy when playing :D .

Thank varia for the advice.

Solution:
Some users have found improved performance by using the "greedy" migration heuristic. This can be done by running "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and adding Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" to the Device section of your xorg.conf.
My xorg.conf file.
Last edited by mbt28 on 27 Apr 2009, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

RE: [SOLVED]Increasing GPU Performance

Post by voria »

Nice to know!
I'll add it to my xorg.conf file, thanks for testing ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
FabriceV

RE: [SOLVED]Increasing GPU Performance

Post by FabriceV »

Apparently, installing the new jaunty linux kernel 2.6.30 resolves the problem... Not so much to wait now...