Last visit was: It is currently 02/10/2014, 13:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jaunty: Complete lockup on NC10
PostPosted: 29/04/2009, 16:19 

Last night, I installed Jaunty UNR, ran the updates, and installed all the packages from Voria's repository. Everything seemed to be working fine. But as I was installing mysql, emacs, wine, and a few other packages in the Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager, the machine locked up tight. No mouse, no restarting X, no CTRL-ALT-1 to console. I had to manually power off.

This is worrying, because it happened within 20 minutes of instaling Jaunty. It seems I have bad luck with Ubuntu. Most machines I have installed Ubuntu on in the past (with the exception of Intrepid on my NC-10) have had a lockup problem of this sort at one point or another. I thought it was all fixed since Intrepid ran so well on my NC-10, but now I'm worried.

Has anyone else had this complete lockup happen on their NC-10?

FYI, I was able to reboot and reinstall all of the same packages with no problems, so it clearly wasn't a package issue. Some sort of low level kernel/hardware/driver issue.

Post subject: RE: Jaunty: Complete lockup on NC10
PostPosted: 29/04/2009, 23:20 

When your machine locks up, do the front leds start flashing? Thats a kernel panic.
This has happened once before on my nc10 with intrepid, but i was never able to reproduce it.

Post subject: RE: Jaunty: Complete lockup on NC10
PostPosted: 30/04/2009, 17:05 

Maybe could you try to check the iso before you run ubuntu ? There is an option at the very beginning, when you can choose wheter to run the live cd.